Tilt unit for 40hp Yamaha

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tilt unit for 40hp Yamaha
    Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 1:56pm
kinger View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is there a tilt unit available for a 1994 40hp Yamaha? That's as much as I know about the motor. A friend is getting on and is in and out of an estuary, so needs more control. I'll pass details on to him.
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 4:35pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kinger kinger wrote:

Is there a tilt unit available for a 1994 40hp Yamaha? That's as much as I know about the motor. A friend is getting on and is in and out of an estuary, so needs more control. I'll pass details on to him.
Thanks.

Yes. There are 2 in fact. I recently converted a ~92' 40hp to power trim/tilt.
One bracket has a single ram and is power tilt only; the larger bracket has separate trim rams. The bracket I used is the larger version, from a '94 50hp motor, and bolted up nicely. The bolt spacing on the transom was larger than the manual tilt bracket so I had to fill and drill some holes.
The best (in my opinion) way to do it is to remove the powerhead, then you can just unbolt the upper and lower mounts and remove the midsection from the tilt bracket. Consider replacing the long bolts with the rubber sections that actually make up the upper mount as they may be pretty nasty.
I paid $450 for the tilt bracket from a wrecker and did the rest of the work myself. Got quoted over $1000 to have a shop install it; if you're in that bracket then you may as well flick the motor and find one with power tilt already.
EDIT: You will also need a couple of bits for the electrics, including the solenoid module (I used a couple of automotive relays but if you're not electrically savvy thats a pain) and the tilt switch for the remote; genuine is $$$ or you can get a chinese copy on Ebay for not too much.

One of the best changes we ever did to the boat, the ability to trim it absolutely transformed how it goes in the rough (Ramco Seeker)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 4:38pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have got the panther after market power tilt and trim unit on my 30hp - set this up from new on my boat is not cheap and not perfect either! Does boat already have a suitable battery installed? as you need this as well if not add more dollars.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:37am
kinger View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks fellas. I'll pass on your replies and he can make a decision. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:06am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a few issues with panther power tilt trim though I know others who haven't - its a fair amount of work to get it right - personally I would suggest getting a tilt trim unit off a wrecked outboard (you will need remotes too ideally - usually depending on model it is bolt on to a manual model)) or if outboard is getting on a better option is a repower and get them all at that time and electric start also if he doesn't have?

Depends how much time/skills/coin you have what you do - might be easier to get a younger fishing buddy to do the hard yards for now?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:15am
kinger View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers MacSkipper.
He's not young, but is agile enough. Seems to just like his motor, and is more interested in trim than tilt for sandy estuary bottom clearance.
He's had the motor since new and likes it.
He's up Hahei way, so I won't be helping, but has cash enough to remotor if he can't sort a fix.