How to put softies onto a worm hook ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to put softies onto a worm hook ?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 7:48am
captain.Gav. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys, after some advice please, i am just starting to use softbaits in deeper water and recently got some snapper trying heavier jigheads with bigger softbaits.
However i seemed to 'lose' a few softbaits that didnt stay on the worm hook?
I tried to rig them like this attached video, where he starts the hook through the 'chin' only halfway/middle of bait then pops it out to put thru the body.
Looked like the go and did exactly that but did not do the final hook into bait again type weedless thing.
Here is the vid i watched and followed  https://www.facebook.com/Wired2Fish/videos/10156211929357838/

Do any of you more experienced guys know why i would have lost so many softbaits by hooking this way onto worm hook type of heads ?
Any tips much appreciated ....... Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:15am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The video didnt really focus much on the rigging. Can you post a pic of youre setup complete with sinker, worm hook & lure?

The hook that guy was using was not what I call a worm hook.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 1:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have a read of this, from the NZ Fishing News archives on the forum.
It's by Paul Senior, who was a bit of a pioneer of the deep softbaits in workups fishing in NZ, from what I understand. Trends have moved on, but I reckon you'd still get good fish using that method.

He has a special technique for ensuring the body doesn't come away from the worm hook.

one of the best charter skippers up north - Far North Fishing Charters who typically fished soft baits day in day out in 20m - used a similar copper wire twist method with his Z Man jerk shads that he had on every customers' rod (I think he's shut down his business now, but was very successful - so that is a good hint at what lures to use if you want something durable at depth - you're not having to wind up to check if your Gulp's been chopped in half after a decent bite).

I also recommend reading this article (again from the forum archives) by Stephen Tapp, who uses Trokar Flippin hooks down deep which have a plastic keeper on them. I have tried them, and they work very well with Z Mans.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 7:00pm
captain.Gav. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks, T.K.