When is a parachute adams not a parachute adams.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When is a parachute adams not a parachute adams.
    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
Tiggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I lost my last para adams in a fiesty fish a few days ago and that before I tied more, I would google it to get the correct pattern. 

What an amazing result when I checked the google images, all coloured hackles from dark ginger to pale grey, bodies of every description and colour including even a deer hair body. Try it for yourself!

So put together a  yellow body, a pale hackle instead of a grizzle and ginger in the original, a tail of any colour and to then call it an adams would have to stretch anyones imagination. The most uniform part would have to be a dubbed body but even that isnt sacred.

Is there any way patterns could be somewhat standardised or do we just put up with every tiers fancy or material on hand to make a *******ised version and then call by the original name.

In conclusion, I guess that this is how patterns evolve and new patterns are born. Its just a very confusing world out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:48am
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

From what I can gather, the "parachute", was added later, however the original "Adams" was tied by Leonard Halladay (1872-1952)
Adams (Historically Correct Pattern):

Hook: #12 or #14 Dry Fly Hook(The manufacture of the hook is not known.
Most fly historians agree on the sizes of the hooks.)
Thread: Gray (Most historians agree on this, although some insist that it was black).
Tail: Two strands from a golden pheasant neck feather.
Wings: Narrow neck feather of Barred Plymouth Rock rooster, tied ‘advanced’ forward and in a semi-spent manner.
Body: Gray Wool Yarn
Hackle: Mixed, from the neck feathers of Barred Plymouth Rock and Rhode Island Red roosters.

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.