Stingrays caught in flounder net

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SusieQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stingrays caught in flounder net
    Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:38am
SusieQ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How can I safely remove stingrays from a net so I can release them. I am interested in catching and keeping the flounder and snapper but would like the stingrays to be ok. I am not keen on being injured though. Thanks for any advice for a newbie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:17am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you can flip them onto their back they dont struggle and their tail is kept in check. They can arch their back up but not down.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:10pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just cut the barb and they flip out,old comms guy showed me years and they swim away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SusieQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:14pm
SusieQ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks so much - I really appreciate your advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SusieQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:16pm
SusieQ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks so much that sounds doable, one person I met advocated cutting their entire tails off and I don’t think I could bring myself to do that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:44pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SusieQ SusieQ wrote:

Thanks so much that sounds doable, one person I met advocated cutting their entire tails off and I don’t think I could bring myself to do that.
just the barb,presume they grow another one,25 in one haul Grr,swansea bay kawau island
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SusieQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:47pm
SusieQ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I googled it and yes they do grow another as it’s the defence against attack and if it’s embedded in an attacker then they can whizz away and live to fight another day. I reckon I can do that. Thanks again