Squid in Wellington using egi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid in Wellington using egi
    Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 10:56pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello Wellington fishers,

Had a productive couple of hours fishing off the rocks for squid this afternoon - 5 caught, all on 3.5 size Harimitsu Sumizokus in EPN and EPC colours. 4 caught around Shelly Bay, 1 off Moa Point. 

I find squid are difficult to release, as they get damaged so easily, but I was able to release 2 that were only lightly hooked (no need to touch them). One squid fell off as I was trying to land it. I kept 2 for lunch tomorrow.

All of the squid followed the egi right to my feet, and I had to tease them into taking it. They would rush at it, stop, back off, start to swim away, then turn around, rush it, etc. Polarised sunglasses really helped today.

Conditions were warm and clear but windy, rising ride, and clear water. 

I've caught squid each of the last 4 times I've been out, so it's definitely worth trying for them if you're here in Welly.

All squid were caught in the daylight - I don't usually fish for squid at night, but will try that soon.

Has anyone else had any luck with catching squid in Wellington?

A couple of photos:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:11pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

And one from Moa Point:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:09pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Another trip from a couple of days ago, and a few more squid caught from Shelly Bay.

Weather was overcast and quite windy. Fished from 7.30 - 9pm. Tide was falling, and the water was full of some kind of jellyfish that kept getting stuck on my line and fouling the jig. Water was clear, some swell evident. No baitfish seen.

Successful egi was 3.5 size in pink over rainbow foil body.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:11am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice......what jigs you using there mate?
ahhhaaa ...no worries.........just saw it at the top there......good jobWink
p.s what a great name for a jig...really roles off the tongue a LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tigerfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:05pm
Tigerfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - yes, it's a bit of a tongue-twister. I miss the days when we had fewer options and the only decision to make was whether to use a pink Yo-Zuri or a green Yo-Zuri.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty_78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 8:49pm
Salty_78 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great intel here, would like to try Egi. FYI the name of the jig is something like 'ink tribe'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laptopcomputer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 9:42pm
laptopcomputer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A Leatherman knife is a multi-tool knife produced by the Leatherman company. Leatherman is a well-known brand that manufactures high-quality multitools. These tools include knives, pliers, screwdrivers, and other tools integrated into a single compact device.