Two weeks at Kuratau

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:11pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 7:58pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks a reasonable condition fish there.
The Tokaanu hole can be ok for jigging or booby fly fishing all year - I will be trying there in a months time when I will be down as well as delta area.
Tried Omori a few times a night - heard some fish moving and splashing but no luck for me there yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:40am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm heading back up tomorrow for 10 days.
It'll be interesting to see how it fishes this year. I've heard conflicting reports with some doing well and others struggling..........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You guys should fish the Kuratau Dam itself, you can launch a medium size boat there and the fish numbers are simply staggering!! Drift the main channels spin fishing, you will catch a lot of fish up to 4lbs, some browns run over 8lbs and much more fun than the main lake.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:58am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Flyfisher
I did fish there a few years back. I had a smaller boat at the time.
It may be worth a look in kayaks this year.

Great place for a dip in the spring fed pool too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hsvl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:46pm
Hsvl View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I just got home from a week at Kuratau.

Fishing was mixed, we ended up keeping 5 with a few more released and lost more than normal, I think due to the smaller than usual size and number of spent fish in the area.

Mornings seemed to be more productive and so was trolling with all colours out. No fish were caught jigging. Colours more successful were pink, orange, green and gold and white and yellow. The hot colours changed daily and took a few changes to work out what was working, but when figured out strikes were hot for a short period of time.

I didn’t fish much off Kuratau and strangely didn’t catch anything at Stump Bay. Omori and Pukawa Streams held the best fish followed by Pukawa Cliffs.
It hit like a freight train, line peeling and drag screaming the rod now doubled with a tell tail nodding and Salt thickening within the veins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Will go there with family for five days next week.    Will do some jigging  

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:12am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great day on the lake yesterday! Started at 5.15 and didn’t catch first fish until 6.00, then it was all on. Caught seven fish on two rods by 7.15. Then went and picked up kids but the bite had gone off and we only picked up a couple inthe next two hours.
Small but fantastic conditioned fish.
We then spent the rest of the day on the beach with the odd trip out - kids in tow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 1:36pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rainbow introduced himself on the water this morning.
Fabulous to finally meet you Herb. I’ve been following your articles for as long as I can remember.
80+ and still paddling. Legend!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:11pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice to have met you too Wide Load.     Thought I recognise the name when I paddled past the boat and went back to ask.     My fishing was rather disappointing.  Managed two or three a session and saw bugger all on the sounder in places where there were lots in previous years.    Also quality wise a bit of a mixed bag.     From my limited time there I could not say what the winter fish will look like.   
On the way over the bolts holding the trailer tow bar ripped out and the trailer instantly converted into a tip trailer and nearly flipped over.     Design fault and too thin a channel to hold the bolts.    LTA is looking into it as there are probably hundreds of these trailers on the road.     Left us with a nasty feeling for days after.      This happened when we were doing a 100km and could have been a major accident if the tail end of one of the kayaks had not stopped the trailer from flipping.     After sending tell tale photos to the company they finally came across with a new replacement trailer.   Good on them for standing behind their product even though it was faulty.  
Rainbow

Page  <12