Perchfishing in the Northland area

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perchfishing in the Northland area
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:13pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi perch fishermen

Not that many of you around to go for that pest fish, I know. But is there anyone who knows some placese, lakes.... to go for perch in the Northland area. I am at the moment in Whangarei.

Thank

Roland with an Oreti river perch near Invercargil

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its a sportsfish up here in its own right and needs to have a licence.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:23pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Neil

Thank you, dear Neil, for telling me!Smile

My licence Nr. is 4812293 from Tauranga Fish and game, bought on 9/11/2017. If you like to know the one of my wife I can send you that as well. It's a yearly licence not including the Taupo area as you might know too. We buy that one when we are there. But I can still find out the Taupo licence Nr of last year of both of us too if you would like to check if that is all true what I say.
We was checked on the Karaipiro Lake on Saturday, Nov. 11th already, by a ranger on the campsite we camped. All o.k. We are NZMCA Members as well: Nr 67459. I drive a motorhome Nr plate LAJ243, fiully registered and self contained. And I have also paid my GST and taxes. So all should be fine we do not have to go to prison while enjoing wonderful New Zealand with it's friendly people.

Would you maybe have some information concerning perch fishing in the Northland. I would appreciate that very much.

Thanks so much for caring. There must be lots of people with no licence that can run into trouble. Good to tell them. Thanks again!

Kind regards
Roland from Whangaraei - (no fishing today yet, bt for squid in the evening)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:43pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yum squid looks beauty!!! Have a fish at Kai iwi lakes there's also a dam up near you that holds stock http://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/Northland/NTHFishingWaters/WhauValleyDam.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:44pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:51am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, that squid dish looks great!
Where was the squid caught?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:42am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A few trout in Northland, not much else. There are good tench in the Waitangi River. Some perch down Warkworth way. I hear there are some in a lake near Dargaville, but don't know much more about it.

There are only trout in Kai Iwi and hopefully it stays that way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:18am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure why the reaction I got after all you did refer to the fish as a pest fish which its not in the Auckland/Waikato region.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:53pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thai squid salad - "Yam pla muk"

Thanks everybody for the good replies on the nice Thai squid salad. It is quite spicy though - see the red spicy chili. One can buy the main ingrediants fot the salad in any Thai grocery store - if there is one around. Just ask for "Yum", if the seller is Thai she will know what you are looking for.

Good luck and enjoy.

The squid was caught in Leigh. Good places there from the rocky shoreline at Ti Point and near the Wharf too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:02pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Perch as pest fish in NZ

Hi Neill

In Switzerland perch is very much looked for. A perch platter costs a lot of money in all the restaurants around our lakes that carry perch - most do. The limit there is at least 15 cm long and not more than 100 a day. But the Swiss fishermen are happy if they get 10 to 20 on a good day, and normally quite small ones only.

In  NZ though (and Australia too)  you find perch on the signboards around many likes as a pest fish together with Koy carp, catfish...
... for sure, Perch go for young trout and for theren eggs as well .

Sad for the perch. It is really a good fish, just scin it if bigger than 20 cm.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:04pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've eaten Perch caught at a lake on my Uncles farm in Ireland - used to get them over 3 lb and tasted better than trout.
All caught on a worm under a float.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken