Takapuna Boat Ramp? Poor setup.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takapuna Boat Ramp? Poor setup.
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 5:57am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After a few years in Auckland and currently living on the shore I can’t help but be amazed at the lack of facilities for boaties / fishermen. Can anyone shed any light on why the takas ramp is so average, pontoonless (swell I’m guessing ) and generally disorganised mayhem. The fact the ramp has a concrete wharf which extends only part way down the ramp is beyond me, meaning at low tide it can be a bit of a mission, especially when everyone is out on the weekend. I would hate to own a fibreglass boat and solo launch there, solo launching in my alloy is mission enough some days. There are designated parks available but if you are there for an arvo fish they’re filled with trailor-less cars. Agree, disagree? Has anyone ever asked for an upgrade??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:07am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its been like that forever. If council had their way there wouldn't be a ramp there. Lots of businesses and residents would love to see the end of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:41am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good answer there from pompey. no one that matters cares how difficult it is for you to launch your boat, or whether you launch it at all. in fact they'd probably rather you didn't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:50am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I wondered if it was something to do with the trailer yacht setup in the area, maybe not liking pontoons or something like that. considering rec fishing’s new found boost to the economy i thought they’d be championing it, especially with the america’s cup about to ,tentatively , be held on our doorstep. surely that’ll prompt something. I thought i would see if there was anyone thinking along the same lines in here then I dunno? ask the local MP what the story is. Ha ha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 12:30pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a strong possibility that Yachting NZ will take over the Takapuna camp ground and put in a youth training section,so there maybe improvements to the ramp/parking in a few years.  

Have a read through and you may find some answers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 12:39pm
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

awesome, cheers for that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't like using that ramp 20 years ago and its a lot busier now...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seem to be getting several double posts recently?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:53am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yea my bad. put it in the wrong forum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:26pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

There is a strong possibility that Yachting NZ will take over the Takapuna camp ground and put in a youth training section,so there maybe improvements to the ramp/parking in a few years.  

That's old news and was canned at least a couple of months ago.  The high performance centre is NOT going into the campground.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

That's old news and was canned at least a couple of months ago.  The high performance centre is NOT going into the campground.  
well that is good news but wouldnt trust ynz,all they are interested in is the elite of yachting but thats for another discussion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 5:17pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

About 20 years ago ,the north shore council were looking at adding 9 ramps throughout the shore but was canned .Remember reading about it in the north shore times .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:07pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, it is chaos. I am often solo launching.  I try to avoid at weekends (just waiting until i retire). Only use if I get there early.  Avoid low tide with and smell of SE in the winds.

I did write to the council about the parking there: basically (a) making the "car and trailer only" parking summer and weekends throughout the year and (b) some sort of enforcement, even if just a notice to the effect that "next time you are fined".  No response.  Not quite true: i got a response saying"thanks for your email. We value your thoughts. Someone will get back to you within 10 working days" or some such equal bollocks.  i phoned up and emailed again 3 weeks later asking why there was ****-all reply and they are just not interested at all.  Not.  One.  Bit. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

S**t! Passing through, we didn't even make it to Takapuna this afternoon for a family beach trip. Traffic was too bad. Bailed and came straight back up north.