New PENN Regiment Inshore Black Ops Rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PENN Regiment Inshore Black Ops Rods
    Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:16am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PENN Regiment Black Ops are built using SLS3 construction. SLS3 construction uses inner and outer spiral wrap layers of carbon fibre to sandwich middle layers of alternating longitudinal carbon and glass. The spiral wraps maintain a round cross section in the blank when under load which helps the blank handle higher loads.
The middle layers of unidirectional carbon and glass create the backbone of the rod by utilizing the strength of glass combined with the lightweight of the carbon fibre to deliver a strong, balanced and thin rod blank.
Componentry is top notch with Fuji K Alconite guides, Fuji reel seats featuring a machined and aluminium lock nut for improved reel security and contoured EVA grips for extreme comfort.

•High Modulus SLS Carbon Fibre Blank
•Inner & Outer Layer Graphite Spiral Wrap
•Fuji Alconite K-Guides
•Fuji Graphite Reel Seat For Increased Blank Contact & Sensitivity
•Latest Machined Aluminum & Carbon Lock Nut For Improved Reel Fit
•Contoured EVA Grips For Better Ergonomics
•Fitted With High Quality Machined Aluminum & Graphite Fittings

Penn Black Ops 7'2 1pce 4-8kg
Penn Black Ops 7ft 1pce 6-10kg
Penn Black Ops 7'6 1pce 6-10kg
Penn Black Ops 7'6 1pce 10-15kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Who's going to be stocking them? Interested in the 7'6 10-15
Any idea on rrp? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:05pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I couldn't see the bend of those rods at all due to the shelves etc in the background. Against a plain white wall prob presents a better viewing option.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:17pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Are these ones mainly for soft baiting and micro jigging going by the lure weight range and will they be in a similar price bracket as the ocean assassin

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:47am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Any idea on rrp? Cheers
Hi sk - not sure who will stock but any pro fishing outlet can get them in - hard when they do not stock to have a good look only option is to see if your fishing outlet can get one in for you to view in hope you may buy it???

They should retail around that $170 mark...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:53am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

Are these ones mainly for soft baiting and micro jigging going by the lure weight range and will they be in a similar price bracket as the ocean assassin
Hi hunter - no the 7'2 4-8kg I strayline with and softbait but if that's a bit light for your stray-lining there is the 6-10kg 7ft - the other two are 7'6 the heavier is a great light stick bait rod and the other 6-10kg some of the soft baiters like that extra length...you can also strayline with the two if you don't mind that extra length.

These new Regiments @ roughly $170  sit in between the Insurgent and Assassin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:30pm
Gold
Gold

That is not a bad price I tried out the OA on saturday and was impressed with how far it sent a 17.5 gram jighead flying I am tempted to buy some 60g stick baits to try out on it 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That is not a bad price I tried out the OA on saturday and was impressed with how far it sent a 17.5 gram jighead flying I am tempted to buy some 60g stick baits to try out on it 
Yip that's the great thing with the big casting guides they have on them - can flick out baits with ease...can't remember did you get the 7'4 or the 7? The 7'4 is a perfect light stick bait rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:20pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by fishwisperer fishwisperer wrote:

Yip that's the great thing with the big casting guides they have on them - can flick out baits with ease...can't remember did you get the 7'4 or the 7? The 7'4 is a perfect light stick bait rod.

I got the 7 foot PE1.5-3, 17-60gr spin rod and put an SSV4500 on it I was originally going to get a 7'4 reload but then decided not to and went for the ocean assassin and don't regret it. All these new offerings from penn is giving me a good range of rods to choose from as my overheads are mostly on jarvis walker pro series rods (my squall 15 is on an okuma sensor tip, my 2/0 senator is on a 15-24kg 5'6 penn GT special) and would love to slowly upgrade them to matching brands even though the pro series JW's are not bad rods I just want a bit more higher end, would also love to get my 850ssm off the jarvis walker spin rod while I am at and put it on a decent rod for tossing poppers and stickbaits.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:33am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I got the 7 foot PE1.5-3, 17-60gr spin rod and put an SSV4500 on it I was originally going to get a 7'4 reload but then decided not to and went for the ocean assassin and don't regret it. All these new offerings from penn is giving me a good range of rods to choose from as my overheads are mostly on jarvis walker pro series rods (my squall 15 is on an okuma sensor tip, my 2/0 senator is on a 15-24kg 5'6 penn GT special) and would love to slowly upgrade them to matching brands even though the pro series JW's are not bad rods I just want a bit more higher end, would also love to get my 850ssm off the jarvis walker spin rod while I am at and put it on a decent rod for tossing poppers and stickbaits.
Yip that is a swt combo for straylining and can even get away with throwing a few softies all though not a so called softbait rod - I did it in the far North Feb and got some nice fish to test the Assassin 7ft Smile - you can look at the Insurgent OH for your little squall and save for the 8'2 Assassin for your SSM and you'll be set....If you get any good pics you can send them to me and I'll post up on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/ReelKiwiFishing/

This clip I was using the 7ft Assassin softbaiting -

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:56pm
Gold
Gold

Yip that is a swt combo for straylining and can even get away with throwing a few softies all though not a so called softbait rod - I did it in the far North Feb and got some nice fish to test the Assassin 7ft Smile - you can look at the Insurgent OH for your little squall and save for the 8'2 Assassin for your SSM and you'll be set....If you get any good pics you can send them to me and I'll post up on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/ReelKiwiFishing/

This clip I was using the 7ft Assassin softbaiting -

No worries mate will definitely keep that in mind if I catch anything decent especially on my vintage penn reels. I originally got the OA for casting skutes but also decided to try micro jigging with it as well. My go to strayline rod is actually an ugly stik black tiger with a slammer 460 on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Any idea on rrp? Cheers
Hi sk - not sure who will stock but any pro fishing outlet can get them in - hard when they do not stock to have a good look only option is to see if your fishing outlet can get one in for you to view in hope you may buy it???

They should retail around that $170 mark...

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got the 6'3 light spin today mint little light jig/softbait rod at a really good price.