Close call with dead Kangeroo enroute to Perth WA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close call with dead Kangeroo enroute to Perth WA
    Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:59am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a warning to anyone coming over perth way.......Kangeroos are a real threat when driving ....either dead or alive.
I have put "Screamers" on both my dualis and my toyota commuter bus(tour bus)......these are basically high pitch whistles that emit a sound inaudible to us humans but can be heard by roo's from up to 2 k's away.........they work ...scare them away....use them if you come over here....from super cheap auto......what happened today was pretty scary **** as well......
         I was driving my dualis ....4 of us in the car.......6.30pm....pitch black......on the open road......on the way back from "Wave rock"........14 hour day....most of it driving...800 k's......pissing down with rain........on low beam..........all of a sudden...I spot a big roo in my lane ...dead .....on the ground.......right in line with my drivers wheel.......doing 110k.....I had one second to think about it.....one second to mini swerve around and back and avoided going up on it......It was a big ******* as well..........god knows how that would have panned out.....had i mounted it !!...probably a "Flip".....Have seen quite a few road kill now.........Be ready for them ! if you come over this wayWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 6:44am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good advice re the screamers - scary stuff - most common thing I strike in NZ is possums, I guess all we have to contend with is stock in NZ - fortunately farmers are required to contain and they lose money if they get out, never seen a cow wondering on road that is not part of a herd being mustered.

Mind you pays to be alert all the time was driving up a hill in Akld and a trolley fell off back tray of a ute,  I avoided but car behind me hit it and it tore engine out of its mounts and wrote car off, driver ok but shaken.  Ute drove on oblivious to this!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:07pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a mate over your ways Jon. A year or so back he was traveling home from Perth to Kagoolie after dark. In the middle of nowhere, an emu ran out in front of his ute (Landcruiser). He said he didn't have time to react and nailed it. Reckons it made a huge mess. 

He was near puking when I suggested that he take the leftovers home and throw them on the barbieLOL
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 1:58am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Good advice re the screamers - scary stuff - most common thing I strike in NZ is possums, I guess all we have to contend with is stock in NZ - fortunately farmers are required to contain and they lose money if they get out, never seen a cow wondering on road that is not part of a herd being mustered.

Mind you pays to be alert all the time was driving up a hill in Akld and a trolley fell off back tray of a ute,  I avoided but car behind me hit it and it tore engine out of its mounts and wrote car off, driver ok but shaken.  Ute drove on oblivious to this!
Interesting you say that.....quite a few years ago...I went down to otorahunga to visit my daughter........her mother was running the waitomo caves hotel at the time.......I took her out for dinner....she was prob around 8 or 9 then.......as i was taking her back to the hotel along the country roads...I suddenly saw a big brown bull running down the side of the road towards me on the passenger side......it was very dark but likely it kept on running in that direction and didnt run out in front of me.......obviously escaped from somewhere.....Ironically.......Two days later i was watching a doco....60 minutes or something similar and an article about some dood who was travelling along a country lane and hit a cow(again at night)....some farmer had left the gate open........this guy was badly injured...fractured pelvis i think.....busted arm/shoulder....all sorts.......He persistent ongoing grief from his injuries.......he was having a go at the attitude of the owners.....he could no longer play with his young daughter anymore due to his injuries....All this company could do was offer him a "Meat pack".......The question was....was it from the cow he hit?.........Dont know if anyone else on here....remembers that?.............Ive been driving 30 years......an instructor for 17 years and that was the best "Save" i have ever done........Ive had plenty of other close calls too......a big branch fell down in front of me once in rotorua once.......and one time in remuera.......I had a guy come around the corner towing a yacht.........There was a guyt on the yacht and I think its called "The beam" came swinging around and was heading straight for my windscreen...I actually ducked for cover but he pulled it back in quick...........i tell you ......driving can be bloody dodgey and you just need a bit of luck sometimes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 2:08am
Titanium
Titanium

Jeez...a bloody emu simon......Since i have been using those screamers....i havent seen a live kangeroo.......unfortunately....they dont scare dead ones away !.........that was fresh road kill........my mrs saw its face and thought "Oh ****"....it was shaped a bit like this < ....thick set body.
  I seriously think it would have flipped my dualis at that speed.......
I said to my mrs today....If i had delayed that response by one second.......I would have hit it.....
Today I drove for 12 hours on our "pinnacles tour" in the 12 seater bus..No dramas today Big smile ..just some crazy showers and 50 knot gusts to contend with. At least i got to eat half a crayLOL