Turangi 10th to 12th

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turangi 10th to 12th
    Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:42pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just back from a fantastic weekend (thur to sat night) trout fishing.
Stayed with Ross & Pippa at world famous Tongariro River Motel - superb spot with best advice on the fishing, affordable and has all the facilities . Get down and stay now as fishing is best its ever been.
Day one was a worry - river in flood - so Kerry and i took boat out - Delta was too dirty - we hooked one - trolled over towards Kuratau - had 10 strikes in hour and a half - mostly smaller silver rainbows but they were taking the toby well.

The rest of the trip was mornings in the boat flyfishing the delta for very little - just wasnt fishing well hooking a couple each time, the Tokaanu hole was better with more action and nice fish.
Thursday , Friday and Sat afternoon was simply superb flyfishing the river - Im a pretty average flyfisherman- functional at best , know the basics etc but nothing special - in every session we hooked , lost , got busted and landed trout  - mixture of coloured and fresh run fish. As good as it gets - just great. I was very picky for weekend and kept 6 and let lots and lots go. Get down there now!
Just below is the Forum famous Duncan Fish whisperer!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, Russell. Sorry for the late comment, I missed the post at the time.
Gotta love those gloomy, rainy Turangi winter days when the fishing is great - the low barometer seems to get them stirred up.

You may not be Lefty Kreh when it comes to casting etc, and you're probably being a bit tough on your ability given the nice fish you nailed. I reckon the Tongariro is a very forgiving river when the fish are there. In fact, several times I've taken beginners along to show them the river and they do very well - because they can't cast too far and fortuitously that means they happen to land their nymphs in exactly the right place.

I think most fish prefer to lie in that slower water zone outside the main current, rather than right in the current (if anglers haven't stomped too far out trying to cast to the far bank!). And beginners are also often a bit slow to pull in their line at the end of a cast, and get a lot of nymph takes on the last swing. Another lesson for those of us trying to show off with our casting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:06pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Lester - thanks for that. Yes was a great trip with the rivers fishing especially well with the higher flow running at the time - timing was probably lucky but great fun anyway. Fish were continually on move whole time we were there - moving up the river  and you could go back to a pool that had been thrashed and after only 15 minutes would be firing all over again.