Mantis Shrimp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haywire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mantis Shrimp
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:22am
haywire View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,

I'm a University of Auckland student and I will be doing a Masters on invasion of the Japanese mantis shrimp.

I know a lot of flounder fisherman have found mantis shrimp in their nets around the Kaipara and I am very interested to know more about this. If any of you are willing to help, that would be awesome! I will be conducting some short interviews about where you find it, when you started noticing it etc. which will all take place next year. Any specimen collections (live or dead) would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your help and time!

Cheers
hayley
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Can anyone help Haywire with this inquiry?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 6:54pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished the kaipara a lot but never caught one, heard of them and seen them posted on here. Interesting never knew there was a native shrimp?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:04pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hey Haywire ( no pun intended ) I also have been intrigued by the as yet unexplained, relatively recent introduction of these critters into some areas of NZ waters.
However my interest is from an amateur perspective rather than scientific, nevertheless would be only too happy to take you to areas in my boat where they are known to exist, set a net or whatever & also, for what it is worth, pass on any info or theories I may have formulated.
PM if interested & maybe we could have a chat on the phone when I get back to NZ next week. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:12pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have found them in Gurnard on the Manukau,or what seem to be Mantis shrimp ,but with more Red on them than in the photos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Hayley.
I have kept the japanese mantis shrimp alive for display purpose when i worked at Kelly Tarltons aquarium. These were sourced from the hokianga harbour from a lovely couple who commercially net for flounder up there. Craig Worthington " Fishman" on here collected them off the couple on our behalf and may still have their contact details. I first heard about via another forum member Paul Mills " Millsy" on here who had a contact who caught them in the kaipara. Blair herbert " Herby" on here has also come across them in the wholesale seafood trade. Serena Cox a biologist working for niwa, has done a bit of research on the jap mantis as well, a quick google will give you her email. Severine Hannam at Auckland Museum has a couple of specimens as well. Native mantis are pretty prolific around most harbours if you look for them but are much smaller and i suspect occupy a different niche to the jap ones. The jap ones are much larger and aggressive and i feel do pose a threat to some parts of out fisheries such as flounder via predation of the juveniles. They are however tasty.
Hope this helps a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:25am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are these the species which can give you a nasty cut?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Haywire,
Interesting.
Would this species also live in holes?
And any idea of the sizes here of both species?
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haywire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:29am
haywire View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the bump, Smudge.

Yeah, we have several species of native mantis shrimp :) they're pretty cool.

Thanks very much for the offer Bazza :) I will send you a pm. I'm waiting to hear back what the University's regulations are re: boat trips.. OSH has really cracked down unfortunately

That's interesting cirrus- they were originally in the Kaipara so if they've spread that far south, could be a problem. Would you possibly be able to take photos/specimens?

Those are awesome contacts and info Bushkid! I will send you a pm. Didn't know they had them at Kelly Tarltons
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haywire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:30am
haywire View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Coroben- yes they are! They can hit at the speed of a .22. Commonly called thumb-splitters among some fishermen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haywire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:32am
haywire View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mattoo

Yep, they make burrows in the sediment. The native shrimp up there (Pterigosquilla schizodonta) reaches about 147mm in males, and the Japanese mantis shrimp has been recorded reaching up to 185mm