Shorten a rod?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shorten a rod?
    Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:20pm
BlindFishingNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Guys, quick question, I have a rod that I wish was a foot shorter, is it viable to just cut off a foot and re tip it?

I realise it will change the line weight and action etc, that's ok, just want to know if it's worth doing, or just get a already shorter rod!

Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:32pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can you explain why you want it shorter?

Most rods are designed and then manufactured for a specific action and line weight. With this comes rod length also.

If you chop the end off it will lose sensitivity, casting ability and soft/forgiveness when you need it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:08pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i would say no, most blanks are designed with a certain taper/action etc. A foot off is a lot, I would sell it and get something similar but shorter. out of interest what kinda of rod is it?
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:25am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you still want to shorten it you don't have to remove all from the top. Maybe take 9 inches from the butt section and 3 off the top or any combination of 12 inches.
"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:52am
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Done properly you'd need to strip to the blank and put on a new grip, reel seat and guides...
Get another rod, sell this one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My okuma 7' 6" 6 to 10 soft bait/stray line, I snapped 10" off the top in the truck couple yrs back... gutted.
Replaced with my nano matrix, both now within an inch overall length of each other.
Did want to eventually have a dedicated soft bait and a dedicated stray line rod
Anyway since the tip was so fine, cleaned it up and put a new tip on it.
And Damn, its  considerably better than a Catalina or extreme, nearly as good as the nano.
And recently updated the okuma reel on the nano to a 4000 thunnus... dont underestimate the effect a good reel has on casting.. distance and accuracy.. once you get the distance right again.
 Put the thunnus on the old fixed okuma.. again huge difference.
So much depends on what rod, what what reel and what using it for and how deep the pockets are..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:04am
BlindFishingNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, new rod it is, damn, have to buy more fishing gear, bummer!

It's a Shimano backbone given me by Uncle here on the forum, it's 7', I can't see and need to reach the tip quite often for various reasons, and the 7' rods are just that little bit too long to make that easy!

My last rod had the top 4 or 5" snapped off in a van door, and when I went to throw it away, someone said they'd take it and get it retipped, now they're using it quite happily, so thought I'd ask about this one!

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a foot, even 6" would probably do, but I'm not interested in changing the whole rod to make it happen!

Thanks for the replies!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 3:12pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just do it - yeah it will effect the "manufacturers intended performance"  but it's yuour rod dude - do with it as you please

hell, I'll do it for you if you want Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 7:50pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

imo, it would be a shame to shorten it Tony.
Ok if it gets the treatment in a car door but otherwise, no.LOL

There must be oodles of rods out there, not being used.
Can anybody spare one, say 6' or 6'6" 6kg overhead?

Tony is doing a great job getting his blind fishing club up & running.
A bit of help from our community would be a good thing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:27pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well if it's for a good cause....
How about this?
Abu Garcia PE 0.8 - 1.5

Just pm me the address
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 4:30pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Clap
You're a good man Charlie.

I'll get hold of Tony & let him know.
Thanks..