Diving Manukau and the West Coast

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diving Manukau and the West Coast
    Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:49pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Did my first dive after 4 years and got the BUG (literally) and am now looking to find some dive buddies for the odd dive out west. I have my own boat, gear etc, just need to find some people who are keen to target the Manukau Cray's. Established diver, skipper and poor viz does not bother me when after crayfish. If you are based in Waiuku, Awhitu or Clarks Beach and are happy to help a fellow hunter gatherer. PM me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:09pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi CrazyZfish i'd be interested in tagging along on one of your trips when are you planning on going.
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:08pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi kingfish15 just to clarify I have been diving for 17 years but yet to dive the manukau. I have heard plenty of stories about crayfish but also the crap visibility and currents so i need to dive with someone who knows the spots best tides conditions etc and knows how to keep themselves safe. Does this sound like you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have done a little bit of west coast diving but I'm not experienced with spots tides and conditions on the west coast.
Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 3:00pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

CrayZfish.
Be 5 years since I last cray dived the Manukau.
But did about 30 dives over a 3 year period.
Many times my Brother and I limited out on bugs.
Dived the Waitak side between Sawyers Point and Nahana Point.
Have had up to 15+ meters viz at times.
Often 6-7 meters.
When repeat diving known cray reefs we could still get bugs in less than 2 meters viz.
Enter near the bricks and easy your way down.
Never really had to go much deeper the 25mtrs.
Often half that depth worked out OK.
South side is Cake Island.
A channel wall makes for a good drift dive on a incoming tide around 15mtr mark used to work.
Mudstone here makes for great shelves for the bugs to feed in the current.
Hour either side of high water had the best viz as a rule.
When buggin` the Waitak side I would often work a 2mtr depth range when baggin my 1st cray.
ie.see a legal bug at 13mts work the 11-15 mtr band.
Deeper or shallower often resulted in zilch.
Current is not a problem when hugging the bottom.
If it does get up a bit,head into the current.
Blows all the crud away when scrappin` a bug.
Always got my bugs in areas with some current flow.
Good kinas to about 12mts.
I never bothered with the mussells cheap and better quality at the supermarket.
Blackfoot paua around but have never come across a legal sized one.
No go for paua with scuba obviously.
Good sized kingfish at times so take a speargun in ya boat,ya never know.
Drop a couple of longlines somewhere to pick up after your dive.
Odd bronzie around like anywhere else.
Plenty of places to dive in the Manukau.
Find a reef/rock on your sounder and have a crack,conditions permitting.
Viz like anywhere else,settled weather with no rain for a week works.
Have not really dived the Coast much.
Always got enough bugs inside the harbour.
Best bug diving with 20ks of the SkyTower I recon.
Get in to `em cobber.
Cheerz

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:16am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the excellent info on diving the Manukau.
I am really keen to get out before winter but after all this rain clears  if there is even a window. Still happy to hear from anyone in Franklin that would be keen to buddy with me or boatman if you know the spots and I will make contact when i'm looking at some dates. Hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks weather permitting.

Take it easy if anywhere near the water or coastline this coming weekend folks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:25am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm hoping to head out to the heads this Sunday and dive over low tide. I know not ideal, but cant wait to give it a crack before the next big dose of rain ruins everything again.
Low tide is approx. 1.20pm I want to be there an hour or so before so I can check things out. At the moment I have had an enquiry from a free diver so I have a spot for a boatman/fisherman and another diver if you are experienced and keen. Leaving from Te Toro at 12pm should be back around 4pm.
Split costs/catch etc. PM me today if you are keen please.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 1:14pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm interested in diving along this area also.  Might give it a crack on Tuesday if the weather is right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:35am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Managed to get in the water, Not ideal tides Approaching Low on big (4.2m) tide but had to give it a crack, And I am glad I did.
Dinner was great Crayfish, Mussels and Snapper.
Thanks to the advice 3rnzir, Blindspot and Onukanu for the correspondence.
I will keep in touch next time I get better tides and an opportunity to get wet again.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 5:46pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great stuff cobber.
You will be away now.
I recall when I caught a legal size bug from a hole or rock overhang at a given spot.
I would dive the exact same spot a month or two later.and catch another bug of almost the exact same size.
Was as if the habitat was suited to bugs of only that size.
This happened numerous times.
Hardcase alright.
You may come across an area we called the sponge garden.
These sponges are shaped like a cows ear,and are about 3-5 foot high.
Grey,blue-grey,yellow and orange in colour.
In quite a tight area.
All on the Waitak side.
Someone will know the name for this sponge species .
You will know when you find them to be sure.
You will have plenty of great dives over that side I bet.
Well done again.
Cheerz

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 6:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good stuff CrayZfish. Great advice there too 3RNZIR. My only fishing regret is not learning (actually not being brave enough to learn) to dive.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:15pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes smudge the reason I joined the forum was to share area knowledge and find dive buddies. Understand most people won't want to give away too much but in a few quick weeks and a couple posts I have had a successful dive met some people with similar interests and got some contacts for future dives. Mission successful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 7:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Awesome, good to hear.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street