Done it!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Done it!
    Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After talking to friends about building a fishing rod, and wanting a "winter hobby", I have finally decided to do it.
 Brought the starter kit from Mudhole, still building a base for the bits to sit on.
Already I have had offers for rod repairs. lets start with replacing broken eyes before venturing into that full blown, brand new rod that I will be too proud of to actually use!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very cool. something all of us 'want' to do. I know I don't have that talent - I'm too rough :)  but it's something I'd love to do. Keep us informed.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:40pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff mate, you have done the hardest bit which is getting the ball rolling!
If you have any questions, just ask, there are plenty of us who have been where you are now.

Did you get the Prokote epoxy?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:39am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Careful or you will end up hiding in your garage all night listening to radio sport and drinking beer while swearing at treads that won't stay where you put them on decorative wraps like this one. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:51pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Makka, yes for the Epoxy. Still trying to get the bindings right. Starting the binding definitely tests ones patience.

GPOT- Garage sorted. Moved the wifes car out to make room. Still not too sure as that was a wise idea with all the rain we have had lately.
Beer fridge full- Maybe not a good idea to drink and bind?
I'm too young for Radio sport. The breeze is where it's at!
And as for the flash work you have shown-You have got to be kidding! Re my reply to makka.

I will get there one day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:26pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Prokote is my epoxy of choice, it takes a bit longer to set and doesn't set as hard as others but this has its benefits, it doesn't crack as much as other epoxy.

To start the bindings, I wrap the thread "down" the blank 3 times then wrap back up over its self and away I go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 12:52pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Buggar-me Buggar-me wrote:

Makka, yes for the Epoxy. Still trying to get the bindings right. Starting the binding definitely tests ones patience.

GPOT- Garage sorted. Moved the wifes car out to make room. Still not too sure as that was a wise idea with all the rain we have had lately.
Beer fridge full- Maybe not a good idea to drink and bind?
I'm too young for Radio sport. The breeze is where it's at!
And as for the flash work you have shown-You have got to be kidding! Re my reply to makka.

I will get there one day.

where are you located?  happy to help show you how to get things started easy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:07pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Apologies for the repost, but here's some pics of my diy jigs, reel seat of a Ryobi rod I stripped and rebuilt, my first brand new TFO rod and a bamboo blank I inherited from my dad, not yet built.

(scaled).JPG" />
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 6:33pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Replaced my first eye and it performs and looks good. Now on to the next stage- a complete rebuild.
Friends have been impressed with the look, so have now been given 2 rods to refurbish. I have stripped them down to the blank(they were both in pretty poor shape). After light sanding there are a few deeper scuffs that would show thru any varnish. I will be using U-40 Permagloss bought from mudhole.
I have considered using Tamiya polycarb paint to change the colour from "boring Black" to something else, and then varnish them. Any advice on this? Good or bad?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:58am
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

polycarb paint is awesome for painting blanks.

I did a "how to" article on here a few years back .

make sure you clean the blank with IPA or wax and grease remover before you paint.

multiple light coats, first one being a dry dusting coat. and go from there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 6:20pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thank you gtrbaby. I will try and hopefully post some photos of a finished product soon!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 6:46pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Going to post my very first revamp/rebuilt rod in a couple of days. Just drying at the moment.
To all those budding first time builders, things I have learnt;
1. Read, google,read, google more,read! Don't google too much or you will get lost in all the you tube clips.
2. Patience. Boy that was hard lol
3. Research. I thought just buy this and just buy that. Easy way to spend money on stuff you don't need.
4. Focus on what you want from a rod. I didn't and just bought what looked good in my mind. Hopefully it will perform as I would like it to.
5. Read more, google less.
6. Patience. Binding can be sooooo much fun especially on the small eyes.

Supplies. Mudhole provided all the stuff I needed. Now I know what to buy for the next built. As much as I wanted to buy locally, I was very disappointed by one store by the service that they provided in helping me. Which was none. More interested in talking about his fishing trip than wanting me to spend money in his store or even giving advice.
Be aware! If you do buy from overseas, check the amount before you get hit with GST! Might be a bargain, but over a certain price you get hit with GST. (Did not impress the money watcher at all. Oops)

As mentioned I will post my first rod shortly, don't be too harsh!
Will be starting a second one shortly. Should be better now that I have read and researched. Patience is still a problem though Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:16pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, Mudhole have it covered.....
Rod 1 - refurbished fly rod for SWF 8wt
Rod 2 - 12 wt monster
Rod 3 - 6 wt, reel seat and grip sorted, just need to clear the wood dust from my knife building exploits
Rod 4 - an original 2 pce cane blank from the 70's, legacy from my dad. Sorted the reel seat & grip plus suitable guides ( red stone lining for the first one) plus proper ferrules, and red silk threads. One day......
I also have a 3 pce cane blank, for a very rainy day in retirement.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:10am
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rod was originally black. Repainted it and varnished.
Happy with first attempt. Lot more to learn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 6:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My goodness! Lovely. I don't have one ounce of artistic ability. Nice
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:58pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I looked at some stock standard rods that I have. Though they are not expensive ones, some work on them are pretty mediocre. Not saying I am the greatest, just got something to compare with. Bring on the next 1 or 4! Orders already for revamps.