Slow pitch / slow jig rod help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa-Schnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow pitch / slow jig rod help
    Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 3:29pm
Whippa-Schnapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi crew.
I'm after some advice on a new slow pitch / slow jig rod.
I fish mainly 150g jigs in moderate current and 60-100m depth.
The two reels I'll be using are an Avet SX, and a Daiwa Lexa300HS-P. Fish targeted are kingis around 20-25kg and snapper between 10-20lb so need a rod soft enough in the tip to give the jig action but powerful enough to tighten up on a king. I'm open to all suggestions & advice. I'd prefer to keep budget under or around $300

CD Graphpitch rods look nice, anyone finishing the 100-160gr one?

Thanks in advanceThumbs Up

Edit: removed links that didn't work
keen fisho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:05pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Might be asking a bit much for a rod that can handle 20-25kg kingies in good current and work 150g jigs as well. 
Email sentWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa-Schnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
Whippa-Schnapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hear ya. I guess I'd normally be switching to larger jigs and mechanical jigging gear when the current picks up and the kingfish start biting. Especially when the drift is up over the reef rather than away from it! Cheers
keen fisho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:12pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

take a look at the Jig Star 603-3 for 150g jigs. I think you will struggle with 20-25kg Kingies using this type of tackle and those reels.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed. My Shimano Vertical Series slow jig rod is ideal for 150g jig, but it gets a bit of a sweat on with 15g kingies.