Near collision at Mangawhai estuary. 05/02/17

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Near collision at Mangawhai estuary. 05/02/17
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:38pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A near collision at Mangawhai estuary.
I went fishing with the inlaws at Mangawhai estuary this afternoon. We were anchored outside the marker buoys when a boat drove toward us at full speed. The boat made a sudden turn and narrowly avoided colliding with us :tmi:. However the skier he was towing sped toward us, turned and stopped within metres of a potential impact. The wake from the boat also nearly tipped us out of the boat. I believe the skipper on the other boat was incredibly reckless and endangered our lives. Fortunately I carried my gopro and recorded the entire incident including his boat and possible identity :!: . I blasted the dumb **** for his stupid stunt:swear:. He tried to shift the blame on us because he thought we were fishing in the channel and he knew the harbour master (a bloke named Francie) and he will escape blame. He also asked if we were local's (which my in-laws are). I assume he thinks being a local he can commit a stupid act like this. 

I will load the footage when I get home, present it to the harbour master and hope to nab the stupid prick. Safe fishing out there everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:10pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how did he know you hadnt brokem down, hence why you were anchored?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:46am
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Didn't know the harbour master very well then? as it's "MRS Francie Crawford"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:00am
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post it here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:39am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Jemry Jemry wrote:

Didn't know the harbour master very well then? as it's "MRS Francie Crawford"

My bad. A report and video has been sent to mrs Francie Crawford and the MSA.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 4:17pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I doubt that MNZ will do anything (other than use this as another reason why we should pay them lots of money for boat registration) unfortunately. The harbour master is probably the better avenue for complaint. Hopefully they will recognise the boat, otherwise there is no really way for them to do much.
I see dangerous actions of varying degrees several times per week. Never see anyone doing much about it however other than a couple of the local marina security guys who try to do their best. Haven't observed our harbour master doing anything helpful yet, but that isn't to say that they aren't, just not overly visible in NZ's busiest waterway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Correct "Tagit",not busy in Westhaven but the last few days been inTamiki river.Not doing much from cruising and exceeding the 5knt and not enforcing it either.Saw plenty Monday morning overtaking the HM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:26pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Waste of time complaining to our harbour master as well, had few back and forth emails regarding port operations and failure of harbour master to enforce the 5 knot rule.

Latest email is he wants to meet with me and when questioned why he wants to put a face to the grumpy person sending him emails.

Best I email him this then.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

classic 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No Tzer don't back down you have good reasons.

I had an issue some years ago on a gin palace going to fast too close with kids also on its bow without lifejackets... the bow wave almost sank us.

Anyway a few phone calls and I got through to the HM and he was very interested and quickly identified three offences and we all did our bit to track down the offending launch but try as we may we could not find it or its place of origin... hmm boat licence as Tagit suggests would have the vessel on record... anyway don't give up go and talk to him.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:29pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boat licence with on the water speed cameras fixed at say Half moon bay,westhaven,now there's a revenue collection right there?