Kina, fulltank...happy holly days

Page  <1 175176177
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 9:44pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cheers Snappa Geoff, you too Cirrus :)
Back here, over the past two days the weather window meant 2 days straight of 5 variables predicted, could it be true? ...may as well camp out on the lil 6m home away from home, Gt Barrier just off shore if it does. It did.

The highlight (apart from some epic fishing with snapper and kingfish doing their part to just say no i.e. zero bite, to thumping thrills, and spills) was as the water and skyline merged, you know the ones - that late afternoon smoothing off to not a ripple, chrome-mercury style water, an indistinct blur of horizon of monochrome. Perfectly still, just the odd puff of a dolphin, no more thoomphs from gannets diving, they're just sitting around preening or calming wooshing past nest bound, a very serene scene, then POUUSSsshhhhhhhh...a massive whale sneaks up and provides the only water tension disturbance for miles with her spout rush. The day's weaponry in disarray from the battles, lure carnage to be happily sorted, later.

Gurnard make currents too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Kahawai are cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 6:02pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The slow retrieve approach seems to work so many times when others aren't, no special technique as such, just the artificial baitfish trying to get out of Dodge. The kingi's were slowing right down in bite, tailing off, 46m deep water, this one gave a great fight alright.

Got me hooked

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 8:38am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome report as usual mate.

Still in the Surtees? It would be coming up on its warranty soon? Any plans what to replace it with? If you have the coin the Extreme do a model that is firstly a real walk around cabin, it also can come in a pilot house version to both lock up and protect from the elements and lastly a generous Cabin that has a roller door, which also locks. 

8mm ally on the hull (SOLID), nearly 2.9 beam, 21 degree deadrise (combined with the 8mm ally should act like a glass boat through chop), 400 litr fuel tank, and like surtees has the flooding keel so with that beam it is nice and calm in the chop. Basically an 8m easily trailerable boat.

http://www.extremeboats.co.nz/aluminium-boats/other-models/795-walk-around

Just food for thought.

I think you deserve a holiday, may I suggest where Matt Watson went on his holiday to the secychelles, this is some of the best fishing I have ever seen. Was meant to be a holiday lol. Check out that wood popper and how warn it is but how effective it keeps being :-).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl5QVhIicH8

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:27am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks FizFisho :)
Aye the 6.1 original Barcrusher Surtees is still alive and well, a great boat, and thanks for taking the time re: the Extreme. I think that was the one I went and had a look at while it was under construction - the walkaround, rather nice indeed. So yes I will make a decision on my next boat hopefully in the next few short weeks ;) I think a new boat is imminent, it really just comes down to costs/sponsors input etc, just the usual.
One main aspect for me is the tow weight and ease of launch (solo) at my favourite ramp so 8.5m would be absolute maximum, I do not want to add cost of changing tow vehicle, I'll keep my SR5 Hilux. A mate had a 795 Extreme built to basically what I had spec'd out for a lure only boat...so looking closely at that too. Along with another brand or two who are keen to support.

Holiday - you're absolutely right! I think M Watson went to Seychelles with the Korean TV guys 'City Anglers' for filming(?) - I did a few shows with them in NZ and Korea last year, a mindblowing experience - but holiday, a big not...hardest work I've ever done :) !! Up a few hours at most after sleep, all day with several cameras dedicated to you alone, no movement or sigh or anything is missed. But what an experience alright. Seychelles does sound great to me. Some very cool looking fish on that video link, good call cheers.

Right - time to start getting serious about boat builds, engines, electronics, paint finishes and every aspect of fitout, as it will be a full on lure-only fish hunting machine set out for media filming, still pictures, underwater shots with some new equipment I have ;) , and much more I want to put into it.. decisions decisions . Cheers.

Here's the 8.5m Extreme Walkaround of Wavedancer I have had the pleasure of taking out a few times, 2 x brand new engines on the back, nice boat, but is set up for live baiting, not my bag baby, so MUCH more room in the pit without the massive tanks etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:56pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Current setup - on Monday,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 2:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I think that was the one I went and had a look at while it was under construction - the walkaround, rather nice indeed. So yes I will make a decision on my next boat hopefully in the next few short weeks ;) I think a new boat is imminent, it really just comes down to costs/sponsors input etc, just the usual.
One main aspect for me is the tow weight and ease of launch (solo) at my favourite ramp so 8.5m would be absolute maximum, I do not want to add cost of changing tow vehicle, I'll keep my SR5 Hilux.

I think it won boat of the year at the boat show last year or one of the mags.

One of the main reasons I would consider it is the 8mm plate hull, thats like having a glass boat even without the flooding keel that you still get. Also they have large fuel tanks, 400l. They are very quiet due to lining and the pilot house construction.

8.5, the wider 8.5 centre cabin is even better still! As you would know having skippered one. 

I like the game kings as well. One in enclosed wheel/pilot house would be very very nice.

Id go the cork flooring for sure myself. I think Inverlock marine in Aus review the 8.5m and talk about why they are quiet like a glass boat, has a lot to do with the construction but also the lining and clearly cork flooring which is option in all the big boats now.

I think 8.95GK is the biggest trailerable they do. Oh lordy have mercy.

A 7.95GK Enclosed Wheel House for those winter days, nice little heater keeping the cabin and wheel house warm while you cook up one of your snapper sandwiches for breaky :-). You will be out there forever haha.

I know you carry a lot of Jerry cans for the Beakie missions, hopefully a 400l fuel tank (given a slightly bigger engine) will still mean needing to carry less of them.

Best thing with an 8-8.5m still on trailer is being able launch west coast or east or up north and a mission to the 3Ks perhaps. 

RE Holiday. Ive been looking at Central Qld and the Islands and reefs for big GT's and Spanish Macks, Black beakies. I cant believe I lived there so long and never took the boat up there and camped on one of the inner Islands giving access to a plethora of options.

Best of luck with your decision. Southern, White Pointer, Extreme they are all great boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 8:48am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Boats, dam boats! :) Cheers Fizfisho, aye perhaps too much choice? Ah well...good things take time I guess.

The gulf over this holiday period so far has had its share of lay-days, but also some right thumpers in terms of fish. Pity it's gusting 30+kts again today. Maybe and in-close tucked out of the wind approach?
Anyway in brief the area nth of Tiri channel is a good place to catch snapper right now, or east of the cable zone directly east of Flat Rock - a bit further nor'east and workups are to be expected. And a few fatties like this around!! :)

Happy Days :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:24am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Happy Days :)

Fat looking JD there Grant.

Good luck on WD this morning, I saw the boat being setup at the ramp this morning. Really wish I could afford something that size now instead of paying mortgages. All in good time (I hope).

I didnt know WD was twin Honda's until your pic and seeing them on the back in the flesh, now that is a 3 Kings boat. I had a look at the fuel estimation calculator online and no other 4 stroke comes close to any of the Honda's I selected. Real world Ive got nada. But they aren't any heavier either anymore. Clearly the economic 2 strokes are lighter, but they are still miles off in fuel economy.

Should be mint out there today, was like glass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 7:57am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks FizFishp - it was a very tasty fish! :)
Ah yes that would be Terry - he runs Wavedancer full time - yes those new twin Hondas are a dream, only issue I have is they are so quiet at idle, need an idiot button to stop me trying to start a running motor!
3 Kings. I planned and calculated all details for my 6.1m to get there and back a couple of years ago (solo), didn't eventuate as other things took priority, the 8.5 Extreme would be easy enough no drama from Houhora (right weather and extra fuel obviously).
I don't have the time for charters these days as such - 100% spent on R&D of lure development, media, fishing seminars/presentations, photography etc, absolutely love it but wow is it time consuming, all good though really. Just working on some new underwater recording equipment now. The fishing in the gulf has really cranked back up the last few days, noticeably the snapper bite, thankfully!

These fat barrels coming into the gulf to perk things up a bit too :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 8:47am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

These fat barrels coming into the gulf to perk things up a bit too :)

How far am I looking to trek to pull some of these in? I'd love to have a go but not the foggiest on where or how!?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 5:05pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

If you are in Auckland, let them swim closer Ecko. At the moment they are barely inside the gulf, but heading in shallower every day, usually right in by Tiri during March. Easiest way is to troll for them just like a kahawai, say 5-7kts, nice sparkly fast swimming style lure (Lil' Squidwings is my personal favourite). Run mulitple lures if you can, anywhere from quite close to the transom to out past where the prop bubble trails stops. Clicker on, not too much drag 'cos they can hit fast and snap line/leader by shock loading.
Page  <1 175176177