Huge Gt Barrier reserve proposal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barapoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huge Gt Barrier reserve proposal
    Posted: 28 Mar 2003 at 2:37pm
Barapoi View Drop Down
New User
New User

I've just seen an article in todays NZ Herald for a huge Marine Reserve. They've gone despotic at DOC!. I particularly liked Keith Ingram of the Recreational Fishing Council comment "This is just being blatantly greedy." - a little understated I think!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2003 at 8:30pm
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shocking display of conservation I would say. They must be waaaaay down on quota if you know where I'm at! How many reseves can you fit in the Auckland area?!

If they want this area so badly for science, research, or from what I can gather exploration, then why don't they wander down the east coast of the Barrier about 7 miles and get together with the Navy, who have basically set up their own Marine Reserve to compliment the bloody Telecom Cable Marine Rserve that runs from here to Hawaii!!

Drongos!!!

Damian

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SOUS MARINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 11:21am
SOUS MARINE View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Press Release by Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society at 28 Mar 2003

Great Barrier Island Marine Reserve Proposal: A Great 80th Birthday

Treat For Forest And Bird

Forest and Bird applauds the Department of Conservation's proposal for a

52,000 ha marine reserve off Great Barrier Island.

"This is a bold initiative that will have great benefits for the marine

environment", says Eric Pyle, Forest and Bird's Conservation Manager.

"We have been campaigning for years for more marine

reserves and this proposal is fantastic news. Its announcement on Forest

and Bird's 80th birthday (today) and the recent announcement of a new

marine reserve at Waiheke Island makes for a wonderful birthday treat".

The proposed size of the marine reserve would make it the largest marine

reserve close to the mainland in New Zealand, right on the doorstep of

New Zealand's largest population centre.

Much of New Zealand's current marine management does not provide

adequately for an ecosystem-based approach, for example the quota

management system is single species focused. Research is showing that

marine reserves are an essential part of a sustainable marine management

regime. At present, less than 1% of the coast is designated as marine

reserves.

Marine reserves are some of the most popular natural areas for New

Zealanders to visit. Each year over 250,000 people visit the Goat Island

marine reserve at Leigh, north of Auckland. "A marine reserve so close

to the growing Auckland region will help to more evenly distribute the

many people keen to see the wonderful marine life conserved in marine

reserves," says Mr Pyle.

Everyone wins with marine reserves. They result in more fish for

fishers, because of spillover effects and because fish grow bigger in

marine reserves and bigger fish have more young. People wanting to

experience the wonder of our natural marine environment win, as do those

who want to see a healthier marine environment.

The Great Barrier Island proposal includes a great variety of marine

habitats, which are currently inadequately represented in New Zealand.

As well as estuarine habitat, deeper reef systems containing corals will

also be protected.

"Everyone in favour of an increase in the number and variety of marine

life, in particular fish, should take the opportunity to show their

support for the Great Barrier Island marine reserve proposal over the

next 3 months," says Mr Pyle.

For more information on Forest and Bird's marine reserve campaign please

see www.forestandbird.org.nz/marine

ENDS

This item has been distributed on SeaFIC's Communications Master list.

If you don't want to receive this email service, please email

simo[email protected] and we will take you off the list. Alternatively, if

you know someone who wants to be on this list but is not - tell us, and

we'll put them on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 4:29pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i just finished read the "Sea Sense" paper on Environmental Management of Fisheries prepared by ECO and Forest and Bird........ every thing they say is being caused by the Commercial Sector not the Recreational Fisherman so why are the prosecuting us?????

Sate of our Fisheries Hoki (Eastern)  Population Remaining 21%

"      '    "         "       Orange Roughy     "                  "          3%

just to name a few......

now why don't they make these deep water environments a Reserve?

that would keep them away from the mainland......

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 4:53pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's easier to pick on the little guys .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 6:15pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

as plants and trees respond to gental voices and music, it makes sence to belive that they also feel pain, I think its time to stop the cruel killing of veges and plants.
ITS TIME TO STOP EATING VEGES AND MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO KILL THEM. ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE MADE TO HAVE A PET GARDEN AT HOME... LETS START A DRIVE TO SAVE THE HUMBLE VEGE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GrahamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 6:48pm
GrahamT View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Having  looked closely at the sea floor of a few of these marine reserves I have found a rather puzzling situation

I couldn't for the life of me  see ANY trees  or birds.

Can someone please explain why Twig & Tweet are so concerned??

I prefer Parkinson to Alzheimer - I'd rather spill my beer than forget to drink it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 12:40pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some thoughts on this reserve, for those who are interested:

-it's remote so will not affect many people,

-large area and extends to 12 mi limit, so includes much deep water which is under-represented in reserves presently,

-includes one of the only known areas packhorse crays go to mate/spawn (although they are not heavily fished commercially now),

-is not currently heavily impacted on by recreational fishers but probably gets its fair share from the commercial boys,

-the area excludes the rocks off the northern 'needles point' where we go and shoot kingies sometimes,

-is contiguous with DOC terrestrial reserve all the way from seabed to mountain tops,

-includes a large estuary which should obviously be protected.

-Most people have to go some distance in their boats to get there in the first place, but they may be displaced and forced to fish less productive areas to the south - that's good and bad, as the areas to the south will get worse, but it will stop the north becoming like the south so in the long run it's good.

That's pretty much it for my impressions. I reckon it's a good choice and I will not be affected by it significantly. They may well succeed because it's not in many people's back yard.

However, the commercial boys are challenging it now, and it will be interesting to see the result - as it is probably one of the first reserves to extend so far out into productive commercial areas, thereby creating a conflict that did not occur when dealing with inshore reserves where only rec fishers are affected. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 1:27pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

now their you go i fish here every time the weather allows.... it's my fishing ground to such a extent im not going to stop untill someone catches me and as you pointed out they have to catch you red handed.... its one of the only unspoilt fishing places left in AK i have invested over 100,000 dollars to be able to fish this area so they can go get stuffed........

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 2:19pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What would happen if all fisherpersons just ignored all these reserves and fished them enmass at certain times to make it impossible for the authorities to prosecute everybody.

What happens if you are stopped while just passing through a marine reserve with fish on board? Surely they are going to fine you or confiscate your boat. Who the f*#k is going to cruise 12miles out to get around a marine reserve just to get their catch home? Has anybody thought about that?

Would a march of all in opposition do any good or would it just be a waste of time?

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 2:59pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kingfishi,

The current act and the new one both allow for fisherpeople to cross reserves with fishing gear and fish.

And before you organise a march of all in oposition, I suggest you get more specific on what you would be marching for.

ie Are you in opposition of reserve's in your back yard, reserves at your favourite location or just reserves in general.

If the latter I think you would be marching by yourself. Reserves are not a bad thing on their own. They are only bad when they have not been thouroughly thought out which requires input from everyone who has a stake in the area.

Most every one (Me included) on this list are guilty of ranting and raving about reserves and all the political guff that is comming with them, without fully understanding the big picture. It honestly will make us sound like a bunch of Rednecks and when we get our chance to be heard we will blow it.

We can't afford to oppose every reserve that is proposed on principal because reserves are not bad things and if they are in the right places, every one wins.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 3:31pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Paul,

I don't how they are going to be able to patrol such a wide area and know whether the fish you have in your bin were caught inside or outside the area. People are just going to abuse the rules.

I don't have anything against reserves in general and yes we will sound like a bunch or rednecks if we were to oppose every marine reserve application. It's just seems they are trying to turn the whole coast into a marine reserve. How many applications are there for marine reserves at the moment? Note how many of these reserve applications seem to butt up to or are close to already restricted areas which are basically marine reserves anyway. Also, why are all these reserves attached to land and none of them are just out in open waters.

None of these reserves are going to dramatically affect the commercial sector are they? Instead it is the recreational fishermen that are most affected because these reserves are in most of the popular recreational spots.

How many recreational fishermen are there in this country? Still, as with all the issues in this country the general public get bugger all say in what goes on and most complaints are ignored. We only get to choose who we want in parliament and then they do whatever they like.

Kingfishsi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2003 at 5:08pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good points Kingfishi,

I think the Commercial sector are more upset about the great barrier reserve than rec guys, with theis one being extended to the 12 mile limit it cuts out some of their prime area's.

I agree with your comment that most of the reserves are lining up popular rec fishing area's. This is were we can win, and I think it is Reidfish's angle too.

The total area has to be representitive of all of NZ. IE there must be by their own rules some barren seafloor bottom. Also they must include a vast chunk of the South Island and other area's, not just the prime spots.

We need to think about it in percentages. If its a given that 10% will happen. Where is the best place for this to happen for us. ie we will loose 10% of our Island area's, lets be proactive in choosing the Islands we will lose. Hell... we in the North Island should be proposing the South Island become one big reserve. There's your 10% by 2010, Sorry mainlanders, Im just kidding. But seriously, if we get stuck in with our own reserves the pricks wont be able to take our prime spots.

At Kapiti Island we have id guess15%-30% of the Island tied up as reserve, but do you think we care, no!, because all the top spots arn't in the reserve.

There are some real nice spots Id like to check but as I said its no big deal as there are plenty of good spots left. We need to get this kind of balance with the new reserves being proposed.