Cheap braid from TradeMe?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap braid from TradeMe?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 6:49pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This stuff. Any good or waste of time. Thinking about light trolling and hapuka fishing. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 7:52pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My son got some similar. It's 4 strand.
I find I cannot tie a good knot with it. If you do then it does test close to it's rated breaking strain. The only way I could prove this was to sleeve it with hollow. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 10:34pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe one to avoid then. There are alternatives. 8 strand from Hooker Tackle comes in at twice the price, but still way cheaper than the big names. Having seen the quality of gear that Hooker produce, I doubt they sell absolute crap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 6:24pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

I find I cannot tie a good knot with it. If you do then it does test close to it's rated breaking strain. The only way I could prove this was to sleeve it with hollow. 

What I have found and practised to be successful is to double the line, tie a six wrap uni knot, snug it up slowly and neatly until tight and then finish off the tag end with up to ten half hitches in French whipping style and then trim the tail off.

This works for me very well and I have not had a knot fail, slip or come undone under load or even when snagged or stuck on the bottomThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 10:11am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

What I have found and practised to be successful is to double the line, tie a six wrap uni knot, snug it up slowly and neatly until tight and then finish off the tag end with up to ten half hitches in French whipping style and then trim the tail off.

This works for me very well and I have not had a knot fail, slip or come undone under load or even when snagged or stuck on the bottomThumbs Up
I guess you never tested these to see when they break. A quick few tests here on the above 37kg braid and best was 22kg 3 breakoffs at under 17kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:05pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Maybe one to avoid then. There are alternatives. 8 strand from Hooker Tackle comes in at twice the price, but still way cheaper than the big names. Having seen the quality of gear that Hooker produce, I doubt they sell absolute crap.

Hooker braid is not too bad but still very "ropey". Dont touch any 4 strand braid, you get what you pay forWink

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, update. Decided that life is too short to waste on crap gear. Went J-Braid in the end Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:20pm
Buzzliteyear View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I tried J-Braid orange stuff about 6 months ago did a test before spooling and took it back to shop in Albany they did same test and 50lb was breaking at about half that, they gave me a some bulk sufix 832 and a knife for wasting me time....possible wrongly packaged they said but it did measure the correct size to me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:54am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Braid can be a bit tricky that's for sure.

I had a roll of 15lb in a name brand that broke like cotton every now and then.

At first I thought I was to blame in some way but after loosing a few fish and then tying it off and snap testing I was blown away how bad it was. Bad batch I guess.

I have some hooker 50lb on a backup jig rod and it's ok utilitarian stuff.

I think though once you get into lots of casting like softies or micros you need a very very good product or it will not stand up for long flying through the guides time after time.

To answer your question I think you need to avoid cheap braid off trademe...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:16pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting to re-read this thread. so, the j-braid lost me my first marlin. thanks for that daiwa!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:02pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Given what it costs for a days fishing once all costs are added up, I never skimp on lines or hooks. Decent braid lasts a long time, and is your connection to the fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ryllz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 7:16pm
Ryllz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Take a look at what's here -

https://www.fishingtackledirect.co.nz/collections/fishing-lines - 

I've got over half a 500m/23kg green spool of the SPECTRA braid I'd be happy to send your way if you want to give it a try? It's what I personally use since it's so cheap, though the color wears off a bit faster than the more expensive lines.

Disclaimer - I just started that store, and actually made this account to apply for advertising when I stumbled on this thread!