Topic Closed

Page  <123
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 12:20pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More info...

THE LATEST FROM THE BLUE FIN cheers Sid Carter: Hi Rolly
Not sure if you are aware what’s happening at Waihau at the moment but it would be worthy of a news flash to members.
Saturday 8th July
24 boats set out from Waihau Bay and one from Whakatane chasing Southern Bluefin tuna, from first light boats were calling hook-ups and by 9am the radio was electric with fish being hooked up and caught and guys sharing the GPS marks of where the action was, Quadruple hook-ups were not uncommon. By 12pm boats were back at the ramp with fish to be weighed. 1st boat had 1 Bluefin, 5 metre tinny guy on his own, next boat was Because with 3 Bluefin one of which is a pending NZ female record on 37kg, next boat to weigh was Nevergiveup with 4 Bluefin one of which is a pending NZ junior record on 37kg. Not bad for half a days fishing! I don’t know how big the heaviest was but I saw one pull the scales down to 107kg. Both Because and Nevergiveup straightened hooks on fish at the boat one was a 10/0 Gamagatsu. There were 27 weighed at Waihau Bay, 6 at Mt Maunganui and 4 at Whakatane there could have been others I don’t know of. Speaking to some of the skippers they told me that there were a lot of solid red blobs on their sounders and bait balls and when going over a bait ball all the reels would start screaming with fish just smashing the gear, very exciting fishing. One guy cast a stick bait and caught a Bluefin. The tally was 37 southern Bluefin plus a lot tagged and quite a few Albacore spread amongst 25 boats. (there were 7 caught in NZ for the whole of last season) There is no reason why the fish wont still be there. The action was 1000 metre line just east of Cape Runaway less than 10 mile offshore. A bit of local advise when using the ramp here is there is a drop off at the end of the ramp at low tide and also stay close to the green markers when using the channel. I consider this to be an opportunity of a life time to bag a Southern Bluefin Tuna so close to home. Use Ch 65 when you are down here!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 1:29pm
wopass View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

been watching and hoping to get free of work cos hot damn that sounds good out there!!! 

if they are still there by weeks end ill be dragging SPARTA over to chase them for sure!! goddamn work gettin in the way of my fishing habbit...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:49pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

alright i cant resist any longer- me and the boys are heading down this weekend to have a crack at the tuna. 
Ive only fished out of there once a few years ago- does anyone have any local etiquette tips that may be helpful to a non local? 
cheers guys
Boat Name- Solace
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:58pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey mate,
Its a pretty friendly place to fish, hope you nail a few.
Coastguard channel is 65, they'll do routine sched's through the day. Fishing club (Christine) also listens in and can arrange weighs etc. Most boats report hook ups/catches over radio. Last saturday people were pretty good letting others know where fish were so that was cool to see.

Don't forget to use honesty box for ramp if your not a member, Christine is awesome at taking time out for weighs etc so a bit back to the club is always good.

There is a big hole at the end of the concrete ramp to the left side of the ramp (if looking down ramp to water) not too much of an issue at high tide but if low tide/big boat try use the right side of ramp or even launch off to side of ramp on gravel.

Enjoy
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 2:04pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Stonefish! 
Will be interesting to say the least I'm sure. 
Boat Name- Solace
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 2:12pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All good, happy to give any other info that'll help
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And tow a squid spreader bar if you have one, worked for us, they were biting the back squids off
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:51pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Even better I'm going to tow someone elses!

Boat Name- Solace
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:09pm
Surtees for kev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has any one been out of waihau this week to know if the tuna are still there?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:37am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.facebook.com/whitiangler/ There was one caught out of there yesterday by a young fella
Page  <123