Help identify flies

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identify flies
    Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:54am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi folks ,
My wife has been into my fly boxes and has stolen some of my wet flies for an art project i.e.. mounting in a display frame.
Don't recall buying any of these from a shop , definitely did not tie them myself , mainly from bulk used purchases on trade me and some gifted. More likely local Rotorua or Taupo patterns .
So any help with fly patterns much appreciated.Also any comment or stories associated with flies welcome.
Yes I will go through some books myself in the meantime.
Thanks Dave.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:22am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are purely guesses, but I think the first is a Craigs Nightime,  second a Mallard, Third a Kilwell no.1, fourth a Parsons Glory.
Not sure on the green spotted one....
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:22am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Top left, Craigs Night time, Mallard, Kilwell No 1, Parsons Glory, Hamills Killer ( variation)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:25am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ha, you creamed me by 25 seconds MarkLOL

Can say I tied hundreds, maybe thousands of some of those patterns, many moons ago
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:58am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Too easy,
Thanks Mark and Uncle , still looking for my booksLOL
Fishing.net is a gwate prace.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:33pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The one on the bottom left isn't a pattern which is as well known as the others, which are all NZ classics.

It looks like it has been tied with the spotted feathers of a guinea fowl (African native, I think), probably dyed if the dots are bright green.

Regarding the stories:

The Craig's and the Parson's refer to the designer (both Kiwis). Look for an old Draper book, or McDowell's NZ fly tying book - will have the stories behind them. Designed many decades ago.
Ditto the Kilwells, which were designed to look like bullies. There's a less popular one with cream and brown barred feathers. The No.2 i think it is. Both were tied from game birds (partridge and grouse?). 
All of them have variations in terms of body colour, usually yellow, red or green.
The Craig's is made with pukeko feathers and is thought to imitate a small koura moving along at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 7:30am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that info Tamure Kid.
I do have McDowells fly tying book , actually learnt to tie from it . Just can't find it at the moment , a lot of stuff in boxes from when we turned our house out to do full carpet change.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 8:37am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No worries.

There's a bit of stuff online:

https://fishingmag.co.nz/freshwater-lures/feathered-lures-for-trout-fishing/parsons-glory-taupo-rotorua-trout-lure-or-streamer-fly

https://fishingmag.co.nz/freshwater-lures/feathered-lures-for-trout-fishing/kilwell-no1-killer-pattern-trout-lure

If you're desperate for more info, let me know and I'll photocopy some pages from the McDowell book. You might find it and the Draper one in your local library.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:30am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

No worries.

There's a bit of stuff online:

https://fishingmag.co.nz/freshwater-lures/feathered-lures-for-trout-fishing/parsons-glory-taupo-rotorua-trout-lure-or-streamer-fly

https://fishingmag.co.nz/freshwater-lures/feathered-lures-for-trout-fishing/kilwell-no1-killer-pattern-trout-lure

If you're desperate for more info, let me know and I'll photocopy some pages from the McDowell book. You might find it and the Draper one in your local library.

No all good thanks mate,
Have enough to let the wife do her thing 
Cheers