Matauri bay in 10 ft dinghy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matauri bay in 10 ft dinghy
    Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 2:11pm
Wade barrett View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Every year I go camping at matauri bay   bay of island and I have just picked me up a 10 ft dinghy with a 4 hp outboard I'm only 14 so I will have my dad with me and we want to know were is any good shallow water snapper/kingie/trevally spots I can get to or how far out do I have to go for skip jack tuna and when I mean shallow water I mean from the end of the cavalli islands to the campground any advice is appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:59pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember one episode of The ITM Fishing show where they were fishing around these bays up,the coast from Matauri.
(+1 for google maps)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yea I remember that episode as well they caught some nice fish but they haven't done an episode in matauri bay in years unfortunately but I guess thats close enough
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 7:51am
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 7:56am
Bronze
Bronze

DAYM thats a nice fish where can I find that episode online do you know?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Skippys you can find in the cavalli passage in the right months, usually they get as right in to Te Ngaere, Mahinepua, Wainui etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:40am
Bronze
Bronze

Whats the best months do you know?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 2:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you live in Auckland (?) you can get the 'best of' ITM Fishing Show DVD on the Auckland Libraries system - request it from any part of Auckland.
It has the segment you're talking about, which I think is also the one with the big snapper on the live kahawai, which broke off. They start the day netting bait in the shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 3:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nah bro I live in kaitaia but that episode is up on youtube by ultimate fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 5:40pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lion Rock, up the Coast from Ninepin, last Sunday. A wee bit North of where they filmed an episode of land based fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 5:51pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another screenshot from another episode!

North side of the beach in the middle of this shot. I love being local!