Salting Bait

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingi_Katcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salting Bait
    Posted: 12 Dec 2005 at 9:45pm
Kingi_Katcher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, just want to get some advice on salting down baits.

Want tosave a bit of $$ for the next trip as im taking a solid 37 days off work (or until im satisfied with my holiday) to fish hardcore. will be stocking up on fresh squid, jack macs, etc, and wondewring the best ways to preserve these without freezing.

Cheers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K.K

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2005 at 10:09pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have a look in the current Fishing World Mag there is a article with some instructions on how to do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2005 at 10:11pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

use rock salt or sea salt, now we used to do it in a jar layer of salt then bait size chunks then salt etc until the preserving jar was full drain off the liquid etc which accumulates but it keeps for ever and a day , so layer of salt layer of bait layer..... get the picture
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2005 at 6:31am
swanie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check out some butchers supply or spice merchants places, I used to get big sacks of rock salt for about $12 from the one on Gt Sth Rd in penrose, its on the cnr opp hirepool, between penrose road and Church street 
"Love the smell of Napalm in the morning"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2005 at 8:00am
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Swimming pool salt works fine at $9.95 to 12.95 for 25kg. I have found the squid I salted does not seem to work as well as fresh but salted pillies work great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockhiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 9:19am
rockhiker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I havent salted baits like Jack mackerel, but have salted a lot of bonito and mackerel over the years (in chunks though not whoe fishZ.  The tips from the others look good for getting the costs down for the salt.  I use sea salt, but differently from the others I salt the bait in large resealable plastic bags.

I use about a kilo of sea salt to one of the large sealable plastic bags (about  8 inches wide and 12 inches high size).  I fill the bag about 1/3 to 1/2 with the bait in good size bait chunks for large snapper (you can always trim in down later).  Put everything in the bag give it a good shake and store in a cupboard somewhere and turn every day or so for about three days - voila! the end product is awesome.

I use the entire fish, "steaked" from end to end, with the cuts off set so you create wedge shaped baits that go through the air well for casting.

I do this for a variety of reasons;

1.  I find bait salted in containers, whilst it works well, tends to become dry and hard.  When salted in a bag, the liquid or effectively brine, oozes out and covers the bait at all times.  So you get a firm to hard oily, messy bait that works very well on snapper.

2.  There is zero waste from the fish you have used when you cut it up this way

. The bag can be resealed, and takes up no room in you pack when you leave and pack it out.

watch that the fins dont hole the bag though, sometimes 2 bags is a good insurance policy!

Hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockhiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 12:13pm
rockhiker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I should have also finished off with after the three days of soaking, put it in the freezer if not going to be used then and there.  The freezing process seems to help the bait keep better than unfrozen.  Thawing and re-freezing does not seem to make any differnce to catch rates.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 1:31pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the guide,rockhiker,hadn't thought to use resealable bags....Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 7:04pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's all been said above really. Only thing I can add is that I nest two 10l buckets, the inner one with 2mm drain holes in the base.

Layer the salt and fish as above, but the whole setup is self draining, and results ( I think) in an improved bait.

Once the fish has salted down, remove and bagup with a little fresh salt. Definitely a good move for mushy baits like pillies. Used to leave the bucket on the boat all year with no nasty goings on occurring.

Must be a use for the salty gravy that is freed up - incorporate into burley maybe, it's only fish juices...

The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 9:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have used salted chopped up barracoutta and albacore (just the scraps mind you) for bait, kept it in a bucket with fish oil. It was messy but it worked ok for gurnard and manukau pannies. I pretty much do mine the way HLD says.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2006 at 1:55pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I add  a generous dollop of fish oil after the salting stage, seems to help prevent the drying out to a degree. Also cut mine into large chunks that will fit into ice cream containers, seems easier to salt the large bits, and when the icecream containers are full, fit lids, and stack them neatly in the freezer. This is the only way "her indoors" will let me put my bait in the only chest freezer we own. "No smell"! She's happy, I'm happy and the baits keep for ages.

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingi_Katcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2006 at 3:40pm
Kingi_Katcher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the advice guys.

The salted bait did the trick and saved money big time.  New fav bait, SAMNA!!

before leaving  i bought 10L pail of salted pillies, only to find them rotten and crumbly and extremely smelly.... very annoyed. Luckily i discovered this b4 leaving for the trip, and the bait shop was kind enough to replace them.  Even these weren't of a great quality and we didn't catch one fish on those salted mutants. It was my own salted bait which got all the fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 3:59am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I know it's an old thread, but people may still be reading it for advice. I met an old fisho at the weekend who has a different method. He gets a large plastic screw top jar (about a litre sized). He pre cuts his kahawai into bait sized strips, layers them, then layer of salt, layer of bait, salt, etc til it is chock full and screws the lid on. The juices ooze out and the jar becomes full of liquid. He doesn't drain it and the bait doesn't dry out. The bait stays flexible and moist, but tough. The jar he was using was 3 months old and it didn't smell one bit, even with my nose in it! He out fished everyone on the beach! I have seen him there twice using it and catching more than everyone else. I'm definitely going to try it myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 8:09am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is exactly what my Grandfather used to do.  He lived right on the beach and had jars of salted Kahawai on his garage shelf to grab whenever he wanted to go surfcasting.   As a kid fishing with him, I remember it as great bait and would always use it over any frozen stuff.   Can't remember how long it lasted but it would have easily been over a year.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 7:09pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I bait fish most times using salted pilchards
kg pillies, quarter that weight of salt in ice cream container in the garage, its ready to use after 5-7days
In my experience, I find the pillies are better than salted kahawai. Salted squid is the worse stuff out there
The squid, I just refreeze it time & again & it seems to work ok (Manukau harbour) as long its not completely thawed out
After a sesh, return the salted stuff back to the ice cream container that has the juices & let it marinate till needed
My salted baits sit in the garage & it gets bloody hot in there during summer... no smell & the bait still catches fish
As far as salted baits go for me... in this order - pilles, piper, mullet, mackerel / trev.... other baits are not worth a mention, squid the worse
Mackerel / Trev is best used fresh or refrozen if not completely thawed out, salting is a last resort
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 1:08pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As a reluctant bait fisherman, doubt I'll ever salt my own bait, but I'm pretty impressed with the shop bought stuff. Purchased a small bucket of slimy mackerel for $30 and it was only about 1/4 full! That was 2 years ago and still have some left. Despite my moaning at the time, it's saved me a heap of money and hassle and does actually catch fish too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 3:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I haven't used salted bait for many years but when I made it I always drained it. I must give this a go
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 5:32pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sea salt soak for a day or two,squid ,scaled mullet or fish you prefer,air tight jar,drain after 2 days,keeps for weeks
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:21pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I always used to have a salt bait bucket - I normally started it off with pillies to toughen them up, but I would chuck all the leftovers in there as well after each trip. I used to buy 25kg sacks of feed salt from my local Fruitfed. Bit gritty but did the job fine.

Tip out the water the salt draws out every so often. Worked great for soft baits like pillies & blue macs, and saved re-freezing tougher baits like jack mac & kahawai fillets. They didn't really benefit from the toughening up, especially kahawai which is tough enough fresh even without skin. Squid came out exactly the same as it went in. Good to have onboard when your main bait supply is getting low. Gets a bit smelly after a couple of months. Rinse - repeat. 
treat fish like fish