Inflatable kayaks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote formtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inflatable kayaks
    Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 1:07pm
formtool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any of you guys had the chance to use or see any of these inflatable kayaks?
With the new vehicle not keen on getting the kayak on the roof as will need roofracks which not to keen on. These look like a good alternative as being able to be folded up and put in the back of the ute. Plus motor for us older guys sounds good.
There is the Motayak, Niffty boats and another on trade me for around a grand. Ok all made in China most likely from the same factory so whats the difference and are they any good?
Cheers for your thoughts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 4:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah not keen on the idea myself. Not really kayaking is it when you put a motor on its just a really small inflatable boat. Can't really comment on build quality not seen one. 

No offence if you read this Roheet I enjoy an easy day being towed out with you and you know it, but at least yours is still a kayak. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 8:59am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Inflatable kayaks and other craft have been around for a while, and there's a broad range of quality available. I've not had a look at those craft specifically, but there's a NZ manufacturer Incept that has a very good reputation.

From a personal opinion perspective:

1. with inflatables (even more so than roto-mold) quality is everything. In my river running days I saw some very rapid (not a pun LOL) failures caused by central plateau pumice sand scuffing holes inside kayaks and rafts. Many paddlers were concerned about maintaining the exterior of their craft but forgot about the insidious effects of trapped sand, especially inside inflatable kayaks. This needs to be properly rinsed out.

2. when using  smaller craft such as inflatable kayaks I always used a heavy landing mat draped over the side and into the cockpit to minimise puncture risks from fish spines, hooks, etc. The heavier material used in larger boats and rafts was much more durable.

3. finally, the biggest issue for me personally was the time needed to inflate / deflate the craft. In the end this was the primary reason for me moving to roto-mold kayaks.

Again personally, I find the greatest advantage with inflatable craft is accessing remote locations. They are far less expensive to transport when flying into locations such as Fiordland, and are much easier to carry into walk-in locations such as the Mohaka headwaters (through Poronui). Unfortunately for general use there haven't been enough other advantages for me to persevere with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote formtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 4:27pm
formtool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Limitless, I agree they are not for everyone and harder to look after than kayaks. But a good wash down at home or the beach and dry should help any kayak. Just looking for options as cant get P13 on the BT50 Roof and not keen on getting roof racks. like the idea of everything in the back and going camping in summer around the Coromandel. Plus could be a lot of fun with my 5 year old in summer. Surprised no one here used one? Also Any one keen on an prowler 13 for sale? reasonable offer for a reasonable condition yak. Good starting boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 4:54pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Having used them my suggestion would be to see if you can find someone/somewhere you can do a test paddle. This would give an opportunity to assess the whole process from setting up to packing up, and provide a proper feel of how they paddle. They're great craft, and like all kayaks have their idiosyncrasies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:11am
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No offence Dan...I know its not every ones cup of tea...LOL

Just thought id throw my 2 cents worth in FT.  I agree with Dan and wouldn't class them as a kayak especially not being able to paddle them properly. I fitted a 2hp outboard to my kayak with the help of a outrigger setup a few years now ago so its probably something in between a kayak and what you are looking at. 

I did this because we fish some spots further out and with limited time instead of being knackered at the end of the day from paddling I can still do other things.

The biggest advantage I've found that it gives you scope to cover more ground quickly so you can access more fishing spots in the same amount of time, so in effect more time fishing and less time paddling.

You can tow someone out or in your case take an extra person with you.

It maintains good speed into wind and current compared to the kayak but i do get very wet when there's a bit of chop. the inflatable is probably better for this.

Set up time for me is only a few extra minutes fitting the outrigger and outboard. but it does add up when you are trying to get out quickly in the morning.

The biggest disadvantage I've found is the maintenance of the motor. Having to flush it out after each trip and and keeping it in good running order. I have been caught out a couple of times earlier on and now I am pretty particular with everything about it (keeping the carb clean from salt deposits and checking the plugs) This does take away a lot from the simplicity of kayak fishing.

I agree with Limitless see how they paddle in the case where your motor packs up especially when you are a long way from your launch spot. 

Lastly is the exercise/fitness aspect or lack of when you use a motor, something I regret a bit now. 

Hope this helps...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:36am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by rosewood rosewood wrote:

...The biggest disadvantage I've found is the maintenance of the motor. Having to flush it out after each trip and and keeping it in good running order...    
I'm having a play with an air cooled 2.3HP Honda 4-stroke at the moment. Being air cooled eliminates the need to flush, being 4-stroke means no oiling up such as I've experienced at slow speed with 2-strokes on premix fuel. The goal is to check out how much easier it is to manage than my 2HP Yamaha.

And no cheek from some of the watchers out there - I may be getting old but I'm still a paddler. It's just that motors are cool too, especially when it means spray in yer face Thumbs Up LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 4:31pm
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Limitless how do you go with transporting the 4 stroke Honda on its side? or are you able to transport it up right in a truck/trailor...

That was one of my decisions to go 2 stroke...weight, portability and cost...    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 4:59pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They've designed the motor so it can be laid on it's starboard side without having the oil relocate in undesirable ways. So far no problems, and it's been easy to start.

The Honda is a little heavier than the little Yamaha, but there are a number of features that make it appealing:
1. no flushing
2. twist throttle rather than a sliding throttle on the front
3. tiller arm swings over top of the motor for reverse and you still have throttle control
4. no flushing
5. at idle the prop doesn't turn (the Yammy prop continues to turn slowly so the kayak never stops unless you hit the kill switch)
6. no flushing
7. no oily smoke when idling along trolling live baits

Oh, and did I mention no flushing or water pump to maintain LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 2:57pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Limitless, you have pointed out a problem that hadn't even occurred to me -flushing.  I was looking at something like the Nifty / Motayak to take in the motorhome, but engine flushing would be really tricky.  Both finding fresh water and somewhere to do it, and how to hold the engine while doing it.  The air cooled motor sounds like a very good idea, do they do them any bigger than 2.3hp though? Both those boats suggest larger engines.  What boat are you using it on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:05pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Kevin - I think the Nifty ones can take up to 5hp max. 
We are probably going to stock them - if you are interested I can email you some info when I know more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:18pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Unfortunately the next sizes up go to water cooling. I also have the Honda 5HP here, and its water cooled and therefore needs flushing.

I'm playing with the various Viking Kayaks (I work for them so I get to call this Research and Development Wink )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 11:58am
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kevin,

I've made a simple stand out of timber for storing and flushing the motor in a large bucket/rubbish bin, something that you could easily take away with you. 

If water is limited you can always remove the prop and flush in a smaller bucket to save on water (and mess) just may need to use a new split pin when reinstalling the prop.