Solomons?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solomons?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm going to the Solomons in August for a dive trip. After the diving, I have just over a week to do other things. No plans as yet, don't even know where I'm going to go!

May do some more diving, some fishing and maybe try spearfishing for the first time. I'm actually not that keen on big game. It's not just the cost, I prefer light line fishing, much like we do for snapper with jigs and soft baits. 

Would it be worth casting lures from the beaches and jetties? 

Any recommendations for inshore fishing charters, spear fishing or even places to go?

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 7:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PM Capt Asparagus as he fishes there quite frequently and knows the turf mate... or he may rein in here soon.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:02pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup, just waiting for the good Captain's reply :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:12pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First and foremost...where are you going mate? Just Honiara/Guadalcanal? Or are you going to where the best tourist places are, the western provinces?
I wouldn't bother too much with big game stuff up there either frankly.
However.....inshore stuff, namely poppering, great fun. Take a light spin set with small 7gm silver grim reapers. Great for spinning off beaches etc.
Normal jigs, as in jigging for kingies here....doesn't work there. Sorry.
But take a 30lb to 50lb popper casting set, and quite a selection of poppers, you'll be able to use them.
......first, lemme know where you are going to be.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Captain. Dive boat is going in and out of Honiara. After that, don't know. Have 9 full days before coming back to NZ. Where would you recommend within that time frame?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 10:48am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Captain, thinking of heading to Munda. Any tips about fishing or travel would be much appreciated.