Getting Into Kayak fishing *Advice Please*

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Into Kayak fishing *Advice Please*
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:59am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A  friend and I are both looking at getting into Kayak fishing after umming and ahhing about going halves in a boat.

Although we do a lot of fishing, kayaks are new to us.

What I am really after is peoples advice of what is best for when you are getting started. eg, what to look for in a kayak, what bits of kit are the most important. As we will buy the vital bits first then slowly add the extras as we go. We don't have a huge budget so am not going to buy a rolls Royce Kayak to get started on, If we find we do lots of it we may upgrade later down the track.

Fishing locations will mostly be Papamoa Beach, Tauranga Harbour and Waihi Beach, So something that is good in a bit of slop and can fit 6ft guys comfortably.

Most the fishing out of the Yaks will be softbaiting for snapper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:36am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have TAS, it's going to get a lot worse once you start kayak fishing! Although practically anything will get you out there and in to a few fish, safety is a consideration, so don't go too cheap. I understand you don't want to go Rolls Royce on a first yak, but compared to boats, even the top end yaks are cheap as chips. If you really get in to it, you'll want to upgrade quite quickly.

My take on it is that Ocean Kayak (OK) were the leader of the pack for quite some time, but Viking really have taken the market. They have produced some great yaks with genuinely innovative and useful extras. As a result, there are a lot of good OK models going secondhand. Anything "Prowler" will be up to the job. On the Viking side, the Profish series are the one to look for. 

If you want new and budget, I have only heard good things about the Phoenix Kayaks Hornet, but have no personal experience.

Good choice on soft baiting from the yak, it's an ideal platform. You will catch a lot of fish (eventually!).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 9:08am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

First things first Jonno >>

http://dabestreview.com/top-7-best-swimming-caps-for-men-and-women/

LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:19pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All comes down to your budget really. Flick me a PM if you have any questions I've worked my way through the Vikings and have always been happy with them. Bare minimum for me would be kayak, seat, paddle, PFD, running rig, drogue, leashes for rods/reels and some form of communication.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmallBoatBigOcean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:41am
SmallBoatBigOcean View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Agree with what the others have said, keep an eye out on tm for a while and you'll eventually find something in your price range. I lurcked for 2 months looking at yaks before one popped up at the right price for me. You'll work out what a good price is after searching for a bit.

One thing I really recommend is a good dry bag. You will roll in the surf at some point, and if all your valuables (reels, wallet, keys) are safely stowed away the only thing you need to worry about is your hurt pride. Been there done that, snapped rods, dunked reels and lost nets. All avoided if I just laid my rods down, and stowed my reels.

Good luck with the purcahse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:04pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like I need to invest in a good dry bag and also a few 'gear free' missions in the surf might be best for gear longevity. 

Looks like Roof racks will be the first on the purchase. See how I go after that. 
TAS - Its a real disease