Tuna setups

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EDyaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuna setups
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:31am
EDyaka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm looking at having a go at chasing some Tuna,
I would like to know how to rig up a rod to troll from a kayak (leader lengths and strengths etc.).. I have both braid and mono set ups.
Apologies if this has been covered before - I couldn't find it in a search.

thanks for any help I can get

Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YakDr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:21am
YakDr View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There are a few different setups amongst those of us that chase tuna in the Naki from kayaks but I will describe my setup:
I tend to run 8-10kg steups. I prefer braid (10kg) (some prefer nylon to make it easier to deal with twisted lines from double hookups)  with a 3-4m length of 15kg nylon tied to a snap swivel. This is then either connected directly to the towing eye on the lure or connected to a short length of 15-20kg fluoro tied off the front of the lure with loop knots.
In terms of lures - any small "rapala type" lures with good swimming action in the 5-15cm range should work.
Hope this helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EDyaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:01pm
EDyaka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that YakDr,
Was thinking i had asked about some sort of trade secret..
I had look at a few set ups from boat fishos, but they seemed to go for very heavy trace.
I have both braid and mono, so can see what i like best, I have brought a couple of the sebile flad shad type lures..would they work?

Thanks again for your help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:58pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We have had success hooking tuna using the Strike pro magic minnow lures , the bleeding bait-fish , blue chrome , baby bass and parr
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EDyaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:29pm
EDyaka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Shad,
might have to try and sneak a few past the wife from marine deals