Land based for kids around Christchurch?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MiletNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Land based for kids around Christchurch?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 9:09pm
MiletNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some spots to take my wee ones fishing for Mullet or similar species, in Canterbury? 

So far the only good spot we have is Stewarts Gully but I would like to venture somewhere else for a try.

When we were kids we had so many spots to choose from, some of our favourites once a week were; Sumner yacht club - which seems like its a no fish zone now? and the one across the bay is now just a bunch of rotten piles, Brighton pier - which is lined with crab pots and never much room on the good days, Lytleton harbour - can't fish there anymore, Black Rock - I don't think I'd trust my 5 year old walking there the path is eroding away, Birdlings Flat - The kids won't enjoy surfcasting and will just spend there time throwing stones at me haha. Heaps more when we were younger but now which ones are worth a go?

Anyone had much luck at Akaroa, Wainui or Diamond Harbour jetties?

Any help will be much appreciated!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisBenitez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:28pm
ChrisBenitez View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have you tried in Okains Bay? If you take a look on google maps you can see the mouth of that river,  right on that corner I caught plenty of mullet and is a good place for kids. I leave you the coordinates below.
Good luck.

-43.690810, 173.059409
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:18pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What about the river mouths for kahawai or sea trout?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pick the right day for leather jackets at Boulder bay, collect mussels at low tide....or buy from the supermarket...
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.