Want to move to Fiji and buy a boat :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote squeaky1986!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to move to Fiji and buy a boat :)
    Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:06am
squeaky1986!! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey everyone who is interested/concerned by the title lol

Im 29 and currently living in England. I wish to completely change my career and become a fisherman/scuba diving/banana boat/wake boarding type of guy in Fiji lol. 
I have been to Fiji (and I fell in love with the place) This is the main reason why it is Fiji in particular (although suggestions on destination are welcome if you can think of a more lucrative destination)

I have the capabilities to make my dream come alive but unfortunately I do not have any experience in any of these fields apart from fishing three times (spear,river,deep sea) and a bit of wake boarding

so understandably I have some questions.

first of all please point me in the right direction to obtain the correct experience/qualifications/courses etc required in order to make my next venture a success (most importantly in navigation/operation/maintenance of a vessel) I aim to dedicate the next three years to obtain any necessary skills that are required.

will it be easy to work/live in Fiji? I know that fishing is great out there and I would love to do excursions for tourists to begin with and expand to other activities later scuba/paragliding (whatever...)

what type of boat am I looking for? If I do in fact intend on eventually holding these activities once settled in Fiji I require something that can do it all.  

any suggestions? help? will be greatly appreciated. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:32am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, big ask. First I would suggest you contact the Fijian government, their tourism board, foreign investments board, stuff like that, see if they can line you up with the people who know about Fijian boat I g matters, there must be a consulate in London surely, if not, this inter web thingie would probably help.
I would suggest a coastguard boating course would be essential, again, find out from Fiji what if any qualifications the would require to run a charter operation there.
If you can, find a job working on and servicing outboard motors, I would assume you would be looking at running smaller, outboard powered, boats. Doing your own servicing and troubleshooting in the islands would be a massive advantage.
And I would suggest you go somewhere moderately cheap, like the Caribbean, to do a stint as a deckhand on a charter boat there if you can, to learn the skills needed in tropical fishing....rigging lyres, baits, gear, servicing reels, stuff like that
. If you are coming from a background with no experience at all of this sort of thing, you do have a fair bit to learn, luckily though it is fairly easy to pick up the essentials and you can quickly build up some experience as well.
The harder part will be learning to safely operate a boat with customers aboard...book learning here is not as much help as being able to read the sea, deciding when rough is too rough, spot changes in weather or currents, stuff like that.
It'd be a helluva life, it is just rather involved is all, and is I suspect more of a lifestyle choice than a lucrative career choice 😊
Good luck pal.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:50am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow adventurous - I have talked to NZers working in Islands - 2 camps - those who are driven crazy by local culture and Island time and given up and those who are driven crazy but work around it...is a BIG cultural shift. 
Think you would be best to take a year and check it out, don't burn your bridges so you can flag it if not working out...good luck!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote squeaky1986!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:20am
squeaky1986!! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for your response, very informative and has provided me with the necessary information to start making this a reality. This is something that I want so badly and I suppose as I approach 30 that Im done with procrastinating now. I want a more chilled way of life. where meeting new people everyday is part of my profession. simplicity is what I want lol. 

Ill keep you posted :)

Thanks 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:09pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ever thought of the super yacht industry? great money lots of travel and with a bit of experience you could look for a Fiji based boat and get paid to do all the things you have listed without having to worry about the immigration BS to begin with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 3:55am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

Ever thought of the super yacht industry? great money lots of travel and with a bit of experience you could look for a Fiji based boat and get paid to do all the things you have listed without having to worry about the immigration BS to begin with.
true...i question how easy it would be for you to get residency there or work permits.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gadzook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:35am
Gadzook View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

That is a terrific idea. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 9:59am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol, I don't think you will find operating a tourism charter boat business in the islands a particularly chilled and laid back existence....the more chilled and laid back the locals are, the less you can be, trying to crack the whip to get supplies and services delivered on time and in a hurry, he'll, even getting staff to show up for work on the right day can be an ask....Island Time is something that will seriously cripple your business, if you blow a motor on a Wednesday, and the mechanics tell you they'll get to it on maybe Monday.....you know, island time.
That is why you can always find the expats in the nearest bar....the place drives you to drink!
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.