Kingies on the flats

Page  <1 456
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 3:14pm
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

LOL lots to remember - good advice - keep it coming
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 9:44am
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great advice thanks Millsy and Lucas. I have so much to learn.

How much longer do you guys think that the kings will stay around in the shallows? Seatemperature.org is saying that both Auckland and Tauranga have water temps of 19.4 degrees, which is pretty warm for this time of the year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 9:57am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I know the Tauranga Harbour is still holding reasonable numbers of kingies still however a good southerly or southwest blow can change that in a heartbeat...

The entrance is now saying 17.6 deg C so may not be long before they head off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 10:19am
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mmm, seems that seatemperature.org might be a bit high.
Surf-forecast.com says Bowentown bar is 18.6 degrees.

What resources do ya'll use for sea temps?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 10:22am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/Harbour-Conditions/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:18am
King Tide Salt Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It's cooling down but just remember the harbour is a lot more shallow and heats up with a bit of sun. Some of the flats the other day hit 22 by 0900.

Hope to have a few more weeks here but this current weather pattern here is reeking havoc. Real shame as the tides and moon are really good this weekend.
http://www.kingtidesaltfly.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:40am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use fishtrack.com for sea temperatures, the free version is two days behind but should give a good idea.  Maybe at the start of the next game season I'll pay for a subscription.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:49am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by King Tide Salt Fly King Tide Salt Fly wrote:

It's cooling down but just remember the harbour is a lot more shallow and heats up with a bit of sun. Some of the flats the other day hit 22 by 0900.

Hope to have a few more weeks here but this current weather pattern here is reeking havoc. Real shame as the tides and moon are really good this weekend.

Maybe we'll just have to find a nice sheltered spot like Hunters Creek or Omokoroa or Wairoa River Mouth or .....  somewhere the damn souwestors ain't gonna nail us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Demo_Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:43pm
Demo_Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys I am fairly new to this style of fishing ( have only done it 5 times). I've managed to see fish every time hooked three and landed two. But my question is how do you store your rods while in transit?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 10:35pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dude with a result like that I wouldnt worry about how to store your rods. i would not chnage anything at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:34am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WillP WillP wrote:

Dude with a result like that I wouldnt worry about how to store your rods. i would not chnage anything at all.

+1.

How are you currently storing them? I want to do the same.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Demo_Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 4:25pm
Demo_Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've inly got a twelve foot so I'm lying them on the seat and off the front. Was thinking of a pool cue holder to hold them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 4:55pm
King Tide Salt Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have this small rubber L shaped addition. Stops rods from sliding along transom, holds 3 rods, keep neoprene cases on reels if you like and just leave them on deck. Quick to grab and easy for changing rods.

Pool cue holders could be a potential hang up and also snap if knocked?

Otherwise this method holds them inside for transport also. Make the lengthwise slot end just shorter than typical 9 ft rod. There's a plastic sleeve that slides down to stop lower section bouncing out (can kind of see it at end of slotted section). The middle and handle are supported by some of those foam holders with Velcro closures.

http://www.kingtidesaltfly.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Demo_Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:32pm
Demo_Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers mate. Any chance you could share a pic with the rods in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:04am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quick Fist clamps would also work.  Haven't got a boat, but use them to mount the rods on top of a UTV for fishing the harbours and beach.  Wanted a secure method of quickly accessing a rod when I drive past a KY work up or Kingi bow wave. The smaller sizes work well with fly rods if a strip of  foam rubber is glued inside the clamp holding the thin blank of the rod. 

Not the cheapest option (2 clamps per rod needed) but very secure and quick to access.

Page  <1 456