Homemade Balsa wood lure - The Attila Fat Minnow "

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Antonio999us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade Balsa wood lure - The Attila Fat Minnow "
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:48am
Antonio999us View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello New Zeland Anglers

It has passed long time since my last visit to the Forum, I hope all of you are having excellent fishing days.
This time I want to share with you my last How To Do video where I did the Protoype of my last homemade lures.

My new Attila Fat Minnow “S” …. “S” because it is sinking action… is a lure made from Balsa wood and I thought to designed it with the purpose for spinning fishing with long casts from the saltwater shore. But I am sure this lure will work very well with other fishing ways and conditions. In particular, I want to use it to catch some Flounders and Corvinas (Weakfish).

This first prototype is a sinking one, but also, I am doing Suspending and Floating versions… it will depend on the fishing conditions and kind of fish that I will be looking for.

Actually this video is Part 1 of two videos. In Part 1 I do a quick summary of main steps that I followed to do it … Here is the list of materials and tools I used:

Materials:

- 4mm x 20mm x 122mm Balsa wood
- 1mm diameter x 210mm Stainless Steel wire
- 2.5mm x 30mm Diameter Lead wire
- Epoxy Resine
- Super Glue
- Wood Cement
- ¼” Balls bearing (stainless)
- 5mm Strong Magnet
- 60mm Strip Aluminium (made from soda cans)
- 2mm Transparent Polycarbonate for lips

Tools:

- Cutter
- Steel ruler, Vernier Caliper
- Sand paper # 180, 200, 400
- Limes
- Hacksaw, Fine saw
- Drill
- Vise
- Pliers

After this first introduction video, a second one will come as Part 2 where I’m going to show the finishing summary: Aerograph painting, holograms, eyes, gills, etc….
In parallel I am preparing and editing a four  (maybe five) chapters series with all the details in each step.

I hope you like this video, thank you for watching and please give me your comments. Whoever wants please give a LIKE after watching the video.

Have a safe fishing… 

Here is the Youtube link to see the prototype:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 1:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very interesting Antonio, thanks.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cpt.Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:02pm
Cpt.Pugwash View Drop Down

Sailing home one weekend decided to have a go at some Kawhai with no fishing gear.....improvise......took/cut the top off a can of beer bent to 60 degrees, attached a hook to the can top with a very short ite trace, swivel attached hand line to can and BINGO many fish....the down side was that I had to drink the can!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a real problem Pugwash LOL. Kahawai make lure fishing too easy at times, I've caught them on pretty much everything from bare hooks to a key belt clip, including a beer can tab. Making the beer can tab lure was the most enjoyable, I'm sure you'll agree!

I made some broom handle kahawai poppers once, not quite as flash as Antonios but they worked well.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street