penn powerstick ultimate surf rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: penn powerstick ultimate surf rods
    Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 10:52am
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

just wondering if anyone has tried these rods offered thru hunting and fishing they have them on promo with a captiva 11 ball bearing reell for $159 for the 13' 3 piece model, I do a lot of surfcasting off canterbury beaches for rig and elephant fish (not to mention the odd six foot shark) and intend to have a crack at some kingies around banks peninsular over the summer.

any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 8:47pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have an older model of the power stick surf rod (and a power stick rockrod) a bit of a telegraph pole but definatly earn their name alot of "power" inside the stick and bang for buck not a bad deal really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 8:59pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ST Paul - why don't you post this on the walk about site. Seems heaps of lads visit that area and could give you the low down but might miss it in the technical area.

I use the 13' penn 3 piece - can't remember if its a powerstick. Its great  - the 3 piece really helps as well for tieing to the side of my pack as well. Don't get stuck in low hanging tree's etc. I suppose not much of those in canterbury. In terms of Kingi's - have never caught one on it - but if a large one hooked up it would diffenately test the quality of your reel / drag. I would suggest if your targeting Kingi's check out a specific rig. From the beach the 13' helps over the breakers vs other slightly shorter models

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 9:45pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tip JB!!

Nope not many trees to get caught up in but when climbimg up or down the heads around banks peninsular it helps not to have too much pokin past the pack.

Not much chance of a large one this far south so no worries there ;-)

the reels I use have superb drags have landed many a large ray and shark from beaches down here with lots of suck on 20lb line and 60lb trace. Have looked at a couple of other rods so will pop over to the walk about site and see what I can find out.

Tight lines!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ray/rawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 7:34pm
Ray/rawe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gidday moocha is that the ps 1306 rod mate ??
Im just interested what reels they paired with the 16 fter my old man's got for his alvey pairs well but I wanna use it for slide baiting and the alvey just a slow winch with way to much power for what I need 😆