Tournament Casting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Five Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournament Casting
    Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 10:16pm
Five Fingers View Drop Down
New User
New User

I have a casting day coming up soon, and I want to win it! So all you experts out there,here's a chance to pass on a bit of info. Can I do the

business with an Axion  90 reel, and a Solaris 13.6 rod? Can I fine tune the reel, what's the best mono and it's dia. You know the stuff I need to know so don't hold back!!   Ready steady GO!

Cheers, Five Fingers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 11:52pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where and when is this casting day FF? I assume it is in the welly area? I wouldn't going down to have a look see if it is open to the public.

Try posting your question on http://members5.boardhost.com/surfcasting/index.html?1020814783 as well. It's pretty much a dedicated surfcasting forum and I'm sure you will get heaps of advice.

Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 8:58am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

its all about tecnique...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Five Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 11:15pm
New User
New User

Hey sooshee, It's a club event but you can certainly come along and have a squiz, I have your email address and will make contact closer to the time.Early sept, bring your gear!!

tobez your right about tecnique, but if you don't have suitable gear to match it, your" pushing it "up hill aren't you? 

Cheers Five Fingers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 1:28am
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, do drop me an email FF- thanks. I'll bring my gear but my rod is built for fishing rather than casting  . I look forward to picking up some tips to improve my techniques.

I've just noticed the link I posted above doesn't really work. It should be :

http://members5.boardhost.com/surfcasting/index.html?

I'm not sure how much you can fine tune a spinning reel to optimise the casting. I guess you already know about filling it up to the max with line to reduce friction on the spool lip eh? Another thing you can look at is the positioning of the reel on the rod to suit your casting style. I've seen some guys fix the reel way down on the butt end of the rod but you will need a rod with adjustable reel seats to do that or have one specially built.

Have you come across casting aids such as the Cannon or Letago? These allow you to really lean into a cast without fear of cutting your finger on the line. I'm not sure if these are allowed in the tournaments though.

Tapered shock leaders will allow you to end up with a relatively small knot joining leader to mainline- I think there is a brand called Kawasaki. Small knot will obviosly flow through the guides better.

Lastly, if you want to start spending the dollars, you may want to replace the factory guides on your rod with the Fuji "low rider"ones. Shimma from this forum may be able to explain it better but I'll try......

2 distinct features separates lowriders from conventional guides. Firstly, They sit looking like they are "reversed" on the rod. This minimises line tangles on the guides.

Secondly, lowriders especially the one nearest the reel, are smaller in diameter then conventional ones. The theory is that friction is encounted by the line twirls rubbling against the rod black as a cast is made. By having smaller diameter guides, the "twirls" on the line as it passes through the guides are "squeezed out", thereby reducing the line/blank friction.

Here's a pic of Shimma's rod with lowriders - http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1036271/PICT0040.JPG (Jim, I hope you don't mind me stealing this photo )

Cheers,

Clarence

<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 7:45am
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best casts I've ever done have been when the line has snagged on the bail arm. One good THWAP! and the sinker sails off into the sunset. World record stuff!

It was so impressive, my fishing buddy and I went through a phase of launching spark plugs for horrendous distances.

Great fun - Try it once (Intentionally) you'll be impressed.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Five Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 11:56pm
New User
New User

Clarence,Hi, how have the fish been treating you?. You can fine tune a free spool reel, and with a bit of luck we will be told on the day, there are certain types of lubricant that can be used to advantage (Rocket Fuel Red Label) I have been told, but there's more to it than that. I don't have any special casting rod as such but the rod I have is a "good stiff stick" as they say and it will have to do! 13.6 Solaris by Okuma. I have used a tapered leader in the past, and I join it to the main line bimini twist with a two turn uni knot. The bimini twist is not really a knot but a series of windings and the two turn uni is very small with the result that it slides through the guides with the greatest of ease. For the casting event I'm going to use 80lb braid as a shock leader and see how it goes. If it all turns to "custard" there will be a BBQ to make up for it!!   Cheers Five Fingers.

Hey HLD, casting a spark plug into the distance never to be seen again sounds like fun!  Hmmm I wonder if I swapped the plug for the wife!!! My mate asked the guy in the Auto Supply Shop for a plug for his LADA, and the guy thought for a moment then said ,ok thats a fair swap!   FF