Straylining Best Hooks??

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:40am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

really helpful opinions. SMA you are right I have way less snags with circles/mutsus than normal J hooks. Thats a big benefit! as hooks are bloody expensive
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 10:16am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep was one of the reasons I went to Mustad Demons tied straight to the mainline and tough baits, less snags. I had one 8/0 last 7 trips into really snaggy territory and it was not lost by myself :-) Hook up ratio dramatically improved and generally sub 20cm fish dont get their gobs around 8/0 demons.

Still if i was straylining traditionally with pilchards, they would not be my hook of choice. Luckily I never use pillies anymore (aside from addition to my berley mix)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 12:19pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody good thread this one is.
I like my recurves 7-8/0 main hook with 5/0 keeper. Both hooks are knotted on, using long line knot. 4 inch apart from each other. I like 2 hooks for better bait presentation. I use this simple method for all bait types

Trace 40 pound or lighter, depending on fishing location, size fish caught on the day & if there is a hot bite.
If chosen fishing location consistently producing snaps to say up to.. 36-38cm, will drop down to 5/0 & 3/0 keeper. I will use a double in the 8kg mainline as a trace, knot tie 5/0 & have the 3/0 keeper as a sliding keeper hook
Always fish with fishing rod in hand, constantly in touch with the bait.
Used to use gammie recurve or the KL black magics recurves. Bloody rusty hooks piss me of big time from the KL range, especially when they contaminate other hooks in my tackle box that havent been used yet.
Now using mutsu type, wasabi or mustard demon recurves
Rub the point of the hook into my thumb nail, if the point cannot embed the nail, they are blunt & get the biff.
Scored one of these http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/accessories/kayak+fishing+accessories?product=321# being water proof, especially good when those rouge waves crash into your tackle box wetting the contents.... now dosen't matter if you get caught out, best 30 bucks spent in ages.

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

but imo striking and letting a fish run with circle hooks defeats the purpose. they are designed to be set in a fishes mouth upon biting, thats their whole big thing, or action
yep, agree with that. I find when the fish start biting, I will slowly start winding, usually the fish will take the bait then I will put the reel into gear... all to do with your timing. All easy as with an overhead reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 12:45pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep i find the fish hook themselves on a slow turn of the handle, i presume the squid is swimming away and after a taste they decide enoughs enough and gobble them. of course this is all very hard in high winds and thicker mono.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 11:36pm
lerlamadrid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I plan to buy Mustad Demon Circle Hooks, are you guys referring to the model 39951 which is an inline type hook? Can i use a snood for this type of hook? I’ve always used J hooks for straylining but I get sick of plenty gut hooks esp when allowing the fish to run before I strike so I’ll try circle hooks. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 6:16am
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got mustard penetrators for when they're just sucking on the bait and you need to strike as soon as you start feeling it. If i start gut hooking ill change to gammy circles. If i get snagged to much ill go to a circles. If the snapper are running with it i like to use circles. Normally i start with penetrators and see what happens. Basically i carry both styles of hooks in sizes 4-8 and adjust accordingly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 6:52am
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To get even more economy out of expensive hooks i keep them all in their packets in a small snap lock box. Always kept closed. When finished with everything, including hooks, goes into a heavy duty bag, taken home rinsed, dried and sprayed with tackle guard before getting put back. In fact i dont use a tackle box, everything seems to get contaminated. Just used small seistema boxes.
Page  <123