SPEARFISHING TRIP TO TONGATAPU.. WHO IS KEEN??!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kirlu7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPEARFISHING TRIP TO TONGATAPU.. WHO IS KEEN??!!
    Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 2:56pm
kirlu7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Guys, Im thinking of doing a spearfishing trip to Tonga(tapu), at some stage over the next few months.. Not wanting to go to other islands of Tonga at this stage, only to keep the cost down on this trip.

Thinking of a week or so should be good enough as im thinking of doing a few trips this year..

I Potentually got some local contacts there for boating and accomodation so that side should be cheap as chips..
But oviously I am also thinking of using some of the charters there to get the most out of the place.
So far i've been quoted from one of the spearfishing charters:
Current Price T$ 1,000 1/2 day ( 5 hours )
Price: T$ 1,800 full day
1 T$ = NZ$ 0,65 cents

Are there any rotined spearos here that would like to be part of this, and get together to plan details?...
I Could also be keen on another Island/country if someone is planning something similar and have an extra spot

lso any info is appreciated if anyone who been there recently have some contacts to some of the locals, or reviews on the several charters that are there, or know something about this place that is good to know in genneral..
Don't hate me just because I have a different opinion than yours!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 12:49am
G dawg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dan V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 9:38am
Dan V View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I stayed at Haatafu Resort last year, nice friendly place with great food. They have a boatman with a big runabout, and if you stay there he'll take you out for NZ$25/hr. From the stories he told he is pretty experienced, and there are a few big offshore reefs nearby. Its probably the nicest part of Tongatapu as well, right at the end of the road! I did a bit of freediving there but no spearfishing (a bit too sharky for me...) saw plenty of GTs etc. 

http://www.surfingtonga.com/

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kirlu7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 10:26am
kirlu7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

G Dawg: ?

Dan V: Great info mate.. will look into this.. Where on the island is this "end of the road" place?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dan V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 10:49am
Dan V View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey mate here is a link on google maps to the spot. you can see all the offshore reefs from the sat photos, but I did see GTs in the shallow lagoon straight off the beach too

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kirlu7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 10:49am
kirlu7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

tickets are bought.. 31st Jul -12th Aug..
Only $350 return.. Cheaps as chips :-)

let me know you you want to come or maybe meet there..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 7:46pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi kirlu7,

Agree with what Dan V says. I too have stayed at Ha'atafu surf camp, several years ago. Some very fishy offshore bomboras with big waves, currents and heaps of fish just off the main access. I am not a spearo but went out trolling with the locals and got yellow fin. Local fishermen for the camp go out every morning. Agree that it is very sharky. Very clear and warm water. You can access the reef at different locations on the mainland also, very deep drop off close to the barrier reef. The resort is at the very north western part of Tongatapu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:54pm
Jambo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,

I am flying through Tongatapu to Vavau with the better half looking to link up with people from July 31 - booked to return back for the day on 8th August. May not work out to link up with u you though we could come back early as we may choose to spend some time at Tongatapu on the way back. I am a novice but just love all things about the sea and would be keen to work in with u if I can.
U can call me at home if any of that interests u 09 five two 8 -5951