glow in the dark jig heads

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glow in the dark jig heads
    Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 11:29am
Aaron C View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just wanted to get some thoughts on painting jig heads with phosphorescent paint.

Firstly in your experience does it help?

My experience has been after some testing over the last month or so I think that a glow bead has increased my strike rate, but I don’t like the way it sits on top of a 90 deg jig hook.

I’ve painted some heads up with a mixture of Strontium Aluminate and epoxy resin. They glow like heck – way more than a glow bead - but now I’m wondering if I’ve over done it. I notice the lightbulb heads only have the eyes that phosphoresce.  Maybe I should tone them down for snapper?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 7:33pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Aaron,
Ocean Angler Lightbulb Jigheads reflect UV light, unlike Glow Paint which stores light energy and emits a glow. Zinc Oxide that you put on your nose is a UV reflector.
Hope that helps.
Heres a quick video showing the light bulbs under UV Light 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:06pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am very intersted in how you get on with the glow heads.

I never persist with softbaits after dark and wonder if anyone does and how it goes?

I always just assume it's like a jig and is pretty much a sight thing.

Do you plan to fish them at night or is this just to help day time fishing?

That said I have caught snapper after dark at north cape but it was going off and I was using gulp with scent...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Aaron, I played around with lumo jigheads & UV as in Mahimans vid.
Also, I painted UV over the top of lumo to try for the best of both worlds.
But I came to the realization that UV worked better, for me anyway.
These days I don't bother with the hassle of doing the lumo paint thing but in some conditions, I place a small (3mm) lumo bead on the leader.

For what it's worth, IMHO the Lightbulbs are top notch, just a pity they don't have some in smaller hook sizes~~like 1/0 Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:26pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a lot of the propriety makes of glow jigheads and cyclops/captains jigs, and I also powder coat jigheads in various glow colours and have lumo painted some too - it keeps me busy when the weather is not suitable for fishing Wink Do they make any difference? I like to think so, especially in dull light or deeper water. I'm now trialing UV blast and will try it on plain lead jigheads too. Like a lot of fishing 'gimmicks' if it gives you a bit of confidence it probably helps if only psychologically - I've always maintained lures catch a lot more fishermen than they do fish LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:51pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

UV blast is good stuff i have been using it for a long time now
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 1:09am
Aaron C View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just crickets there for a while, thought i was the only one doin it Smile

The snapper over here in Perth is minimum of 500mm and the bag is only 2 fish, So you can see I dont get masive opportunities to test out different rigs.

The reason im thinking lumo is I mostly fish before dawn for a couple of hrs - sometimes for an hour after sunrise then make it into the office for a decent (ok then, half decent) days work.

Ive had some good trials cutting large lumo beads into quarters and supa gluing them onto the jig head, but that system wont last more than one fish.

I tried it out again today sounded one group of snapper but must have spooked them off, found a school of decent size kahawai.