Burley Bomb on Longline

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burley Bomb on Longline
    Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 12:08pm
Capt Dash View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am considering hooking on a small burley bomb in the middle of the hooks to go out with the kontiki. Has any one tried this? Comments? Suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 2:26pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I sometimes take one out with me as I paddle my longline out on the kayak. I pull myself back along the line and attach with a shark clip between the middle hooks.
Do I catch more fish?.........I don't think so.

It would add a heap of drag on a kontiki, I would think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 5:22pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have dropped the long line then go up current to fish and drop the burly so the long line is in the trail... lengthways.
Has it had any effect? well in therory we should catch less or smaler fish off the boat , and more on the long line...We tend to use the long linew in winter hard fishing times and cant say any noticanle effect has been noted...But if the opporunity presents  current direct we do still do it.

A while back saw in FCO (think it was) little burly/ oil cage things that hook onto ones fishing line....
maybe a few of those down the long line???

And have dropped a full  2 kg burly bomb at the top end of the long line.. nd id have a little better haul than normal.. but on those occasions the fishing was good anyway

Weight on the kontiki mentioned above by WL...
now I have never messed with modern kontikis....
Back in the 60s the old man built a catamaran kontiki out of Galved down pipe and  adjustable square sail.
At the rear had a large fencing staple the trailing line looped thru....this held the sinker up with a barley sugar... barley sugar melted in about 20/ 30 mns from memory, and sinker dropped down the line.... the sail was also looped thru, and this also dropped.
Now maybe something like this to drop a burly bomb?

maybe food for thought?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 5:52pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Capt Dash, I bought some of the small plastic mesh containers, rigged them the same as a trace, and tried them on my kite line, one sliding on the back bone between crimps so virtually every other hook. Only a small amount of burly in each. Didn't notice any increase in catch rate, but drag was no problem with the kite, just used less lead to slow it down. I reckon one bigger mesh bag at the beginning of the hook section might be the go, but yet to try this. As the bag empties, it will be a reduced drag, but by that time we will probably be at the retrieve stage anyway
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 7:25pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tried the small plastic mesh types with small bits of burley,the trick was not to let lie on tke bottom as the lice had a good feed