Fly Swap #1 - The One Fly

Page  <1 456
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 9:32pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Holy Moly these flies look good "in the flesh" (got my package!!!!).

Shaun - I love your flatwing.  I've gotta find some nice long hackle and tie some more.

Frank - my (nearly) 3yo son saw yours and said "Dad! - it's a little fish!". Thumbs Up Good man.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:45am
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Best endorsement of my pattern I could wish for Rudy!!
Thanks to your son Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 9:12pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Rudy, I'm hoping all the subtle colours come together nicely once in the water and swimming, enjoy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 9:58am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rudy Rudy wrote:

awesome set guys - very very cool ties - thanks!  (Fraser - were you channeling Clark - I really thought he had tied those!)

An excellent tie, nice work fellas!

Thanks for that Rudy, il take that complement all day long!   Il have to get up Clarks way one day and get out for a fish with him some day!

Really look forward to hearing how you guys go with the foam popper fly.   They were lethal on the kahawai in WA, and im figuring they will be on them here.  You need to find a school busting up and cast in front of the school, and just give it a twitch once the fish are within range.   Also an amazing fly for rat kingfish!  Only problem is that the kingies seem to decimate the fly, so they become a one hit deal.  Enjoy boys!

PS. Shaun, how/where did you get those tags made up for the flys?  Very professional looking!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 10:43am
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fraser, hope you have plans for swinging some of these salt flies in front of big hungry browns! The tags are a creation of my own, with the idea borrowed from electrical wire labeling.

For the core I used the clear tube you find inside domestic spray bottles, cut into 2cms pieces, then I measured its circumference and created labels to size in Photoshop. Next I cut pieces of clear heat shrink slightly longer than the 2cm tube, used a bit of craft stick glue to adhere the labels around the tube while I applied the heat shrink. The rest is pretty straight forward!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 10:54am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

HEHE might have to give that a try? Although I find that the fish seem to love anything made with rabbit fur?

Found an awesome new spot to swing flys on the spey rod yesterday. Tipping rain and 4 degrees weather made it not the most pleasant place to be, but 3 fish and the smallest been 5lb sure made life a whole lot more bearable! Thinking I’m going to have to get a jet-johboat. So many big rivers to explore for spots to swing with a boat like that!!

Page  <1 456