Gauges should be to see

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gauges should be to see
    Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 6:09am
Cbmack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My neighbor in March this year brought a new Stabi fitted with a new Johnson Motor Its kept under cover when not in use. Now that winter is here the gauges have misted up.He made inquires about this to the agents and was told that the gauges that Johnson supply are vented to the air and will do this. He made contact with Propeller magazine and they contacted the agents and got back to him with they were not vented and should not mist up they must be faulty! Has anyone come across this problem with Johnson gauges?

It�s nice to have a new Boat with all the trimmings but gauges that you can�t read in the winter are useless.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 10:12am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like they are using automotive gauges instead of marine gauges for their applications.

They should be sealed gauges as to prevent salt from penetrating and corroding the hell out of everything.

I'd take it back a throw a bitch at the agents! Using open gauges is just unacceptable in this climate.

I would expect better from Stabicraft

Even my Bayliner has sealed VDO guages.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 1:33pm
Cbmack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi The HellFish

The Fault was not the making of Stabi as the Hull and Motor were purchased separately. Both through well known marine sources. The boat motor is being serviced at this time and he has so far waited 1 month for a replacement part and the subject of replacement of the gauges came up to be replaced under warranty, That�s where the vented to air gauge story came from. My thoughts were the same as yours .   My Mack is 7 years old sits in all weather most of the time so far none of the gauges have misted up.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 3:02pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah the gauges on my Stabi do this and I have a johnson
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 4:19pm
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guys

Gauges fine with 70 Yamaha on the back og 490 Stabi.

Well having said that. My tilt/trim gauge is only barely responding. Nothing to do with gauge I guess, cause tilt/trim works fine.

Should get this looked at at next service

cheers eric

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 5:54pm
tonto View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Eric try squirting a little crc on the trim lever under the motor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 6:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Tonto

Kind of you to reply. Not sure what it looks like but will have a snif around in the weekend. Might try and have alook on the www for a reference somewhere.

You think its corroded or something? Squirting CRC means its a moving part, is that the case?

cheers eric
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2003 at 1:20pm
tonto View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

eric , my johnson has a little lever on a spring about 2 inches long  which sometimes gets a little sticky but  a squirt of crc usually fixes it. I have had 3 yamahas but can't remember what set up they have for the trim, must be old age creeping up on me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2003 at 3:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Tonto

Had a look on a Yamaha site in the USA. But their diagrams didnt show any levers. I assume the part I'm looking for is on the outside rather than on the inside of the cover/motor part.

My boat is in a single garage, no light and hardup against the wall sort-of spot. Hard to get at basically and a real arse to park.

cheers eric
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2003 at 1:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Tonto.

Solved it thanks to you for the advice.
This is the culprit the little black plastic lever (bottom right)