Garden chat

Page  <1 56789 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My gardens are just the old style dug in the ground things. Yeah I do use a few commercial ferts and compost but over the years they have got less and less. Here's an update on my garden
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ooops timed out as I was cooking dinner :) Geese are going well as is the sheep Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 9:54am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TEST TEST

For you Bazza  Thumbs Up
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 10:09am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

TEST TEST

For you Bazza  Thumbs Up

Thanx for sorting that MM.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:36am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

TEST TEST

For you Bazza  Thumbs Up

Thanx for sorting that MM.

Not a problem Smile
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:38am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Most of my garden is underway, snails attack my courgettes faster than I can grow them so looks like a poisoning session on its way. Beans are struggling, eggplants, capsicum, lettuce & brocolli thriving as is parsley, silverbeet, swan plants, grape vines, sweet corn & tomatoes. Almost a complete no show for peas and carrots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 11:53am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Most of my garden is underway, snails attack my courgettes faster than I can grow them so looks like a poisoning session on its way. Beans are struggling, eggplants, capsicum, lettuce & brocolli thriving as is parsley, silverbeet, swan plants, grape vines, sweet corn & tomatoes. Almost a complete no show for peas and carrots.

Well done  Handshake
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 3:51pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Planted some toms yesterday, grow them 400L
bbq the saved egg shells, to dry them out

Dig a deep pit, in goes snapper frame, guts, head, banana skins, crushed egg shells, epsom salt, bit of soil or compost as separation, tomato on top, buried till top leaves poking out of the ground

Thats all the feed the plant needs for the entire season

Experimenting with these 8 planted tomatoes here, 6 are different varieties, will see how they go, all of them have a growing height between 2-4 foot only

I got some steel wire mesh offcuts from work when concrete path was being done, will use as a mesh stake.
I did this last season, just weaving the plant thru the squares, didn't tie anything up the whole season....too easy
Drip irrigation will go in if it ever stops raining, then a bale of pea straw as mulch... bird netting goes in later..... will be almost maintenance free for the growing season

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:10am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we keep egg shell all year, i crush them and spread them out on gardens ,when turning the soil i place more in as they take time to break down and release calcium. ideal for all crops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:14am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

As previously stated I cannot claim to be much of a gardener but for some unknown reason enjoy considerable success growing, beans, potatoes & citrus thereby providing considerable satisfaction, particularly under the current covid situation.

This post only concerns ( so far ) the citrus & to many may seem rather pedantic but nevertheless, am sure other gardeners on the forum will emphasise with how annoying it was.

Had ( until yesterday ) a bountiful crop of lemons & Japanese limes enough to give away to those that appreciate them leaving more than enough to satisfy our own need.

Yesterday around 9 am was putting the rubbish bin out & came across an individual shamelessly loading up his arms with my lemons so confronted him taking them back & the only answer he could offer was that he liked lemons, to be told had he asked then he would be welcome to a few, giving him a couple back to prove my point before sending him on his way.

Came back out about 30 mins later to discover the tree had been completely stripped.

Was so mad that by making a couple enquiries with locals managed to establish where he lived, so high tailed it up there letting him know in no uncertain terms what I thought of him demanding he give back what he had "stolen" whereupon he went to a fruit bowl & without a hint of guilt handed me one single lemon despite at least a couple of cartons had been stripped.

He maintained he had no idea who had been responsible ... but  given the coincidence of events who else would have been responsible plus one of the informants as to where the guy lived said he had been involved in an incident with the same "gentleman" over a valuable coin ( approx $800 ) via TradeMe .

Don't it "rip your undies" to know there are such individuals & there is little you can do about it ... a rather minor event admittedly but annoying nevertheless .... how would you have handled such a situation ???.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 11:18am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As previously stated I cannot claim to be much of a gardener but for some unknown reason enjoy considerable success growing, beans, potatoes & citrus thereby providing considerable satisfaction, particularly under the current covid situation.

This post only concerns ( so far ) the citrus & to many may seem rather pedantic but nevertheless, am sure other gardeners on the forum will emphasise with how annoying it was.

Had ( until yesterday ) a bountiful crop of lemons & Japanese limes enough to give away to those that appreciate them leaving more than enough to satisfy our own need.

Yesterday around 9 am was putting the rubbish bin out & came across an individual shamelessly loading up his arms with my lemons so confronted him taking them back & the only answer he could offer was that he liked lemons, to be told had he asked then he would be welcome to a few, giving him a couple back to prove my point before sending him on his way.

Came back out about 30 mins later to discover the tree had been completely stripped.

Was so mad that by making a couple enquiries with locals managed to establish where he lived, so high tailed it up there letting him know in no uncertain terms what I thought of him demanding he give back what he had "stolen" whereupon he went to a fruit bowl & without a hint of guilt handed me one single lemon despite at least a couple of cartons had been stripped.

He maintained he had no idea who had been responsible ... but  given the coincidence of events who else would have been responsible plus one of the informants as to where the guy lived said he had been involved in an incident with the same "gentleman" over a valuable coin ( approx $800 ) via TradeMe .

Don't it "rip your undies" to know there are such individuals & there is little you can do about it ... a rather minor event admittedly but annoying nevertheless .... how would you have handled such a situation ???.

Many years ago workmate bought a section out Kumeu way.
The section had some fruit trees. Anyways he was checking on his section one Saturday and he saw a guy up one of his plum trees taking his fruit. As he walked towards the guy the guy yelled at him "Hey what the F*** are you doing here. I saw these plums first. They're all mine."
Workmate was a stroppy scotsman and soon pointed out to the thief the error of his ways with frequent mention of police. Culprit departed at high speed with no fruit.. 
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:43pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

banana Boat you are so into it ! Bet those Tom’s explode with fruit wow. A little effort up front and reap the benefits. 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:53pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I re call when I just got my licence I picked up my mates and drove around as you do when you just turned 15. We parked in a street and ate takeaways when a raw eggs hit the back door and the road around us. We saw where it came from and a big guy closing his door and curtains wiggling. We left to clean car and wonder why someone would do that. A few phone calls and we had two car loads of teens with a doz eggs each and surrounded house and let rip. The big guy opened his door and got many direct hits and others hitting the fridge and inside walls. 
He went ballistic and grabbed a weapon and ran out but we had a exist plan and sat up a hill watching him drive around the streets. Some people do get their karma be them thieves, liers  or bullies 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:19pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I re call when I just got my licence I picked up my mates and drove around as you do when you just turned 15. We parked in a street and ate takeaways when a raw eggs hit the back door and the road around us. We saw where it came from and a big guy closing his door and curtains wiggling. We left to clean car and wonder why someone would do that. A few phone calls and we had two car loads of teens with a doz eggs each and surrounded house and let rip. The big guy opened his door and got many direct hits and others hitting the fridge and inside walls. 
He went ballistic and grabbed a weapon and ran out but we had a exist plan and sat up a hill watching him drive around the streets. Some people do get their karma be them thieves, liers  or bullies 

LOL LOL LOL
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

obviously you lemons were just to irresistible Bazza,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:11pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If life (Bazza) gives you lemons, you make lemonade..

I have birds, possums and deer after my fruit. Occasionally wife and I get a few...

Evidently there are quite a few people desperate for food, having lost their jobs and have no money coming in and there has been some thieving going on... 

Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my doggies dug up 1 of my tomato plants... not happy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 3:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

my doggies dug up 1 of my tomato plants... not happy

Only one? you're lucky. I have ten tomatoes, seven pumpkins and at least a million of everything else (stop lying Smudge). My turkeys, chickens, geese , cats, sheep and the neighbours goats & cattle decimate my crop every year and I still have too much left 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 3:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If life (Bazza) gives you lemons, you make lemonade..

I have birds, possums and deer after my fruit. Occasionally wife and I get a few...

Evidently there are quite a few people desperate for food, having lost their jobs and have no money coming in and there has been some thieving going on... 

well if you need any deer control I can help Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 3:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Only had three through the chiller this week, be happy to send the proceeds through
Page  <1 56789 25>