Garden chat

Page  <1234 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 7:43am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

and my asparagus that is now 5 years old picking each day. 

Cry   , i couldnt find a jealous emoji lol our asparagus popped its head out only to get a couple of nights at minus 4 and so it all withered and disappeared .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 7:49am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

I have about 60 potatoes in and about to plant dwarf beans ,runner beans will start regrowing soon.my list yearly is as above plus onions they were planted in april, tomato, zucckini corn cucumber garlic capsicum butternut ginger lettece chilli. and my asparagus that is now 5 years old picking each day.  dwarf beans and corn i plant 3 times in a season.
CORN?? whats the secret.planted some last year but didnt develope,no ears only a plants,The corn never developed,like it was rotten but small.Planted in sunny area and plenty of water.12 planted but spread apart.

yip plant corn blocks as Lingee says but i would also add nitrogen fertilizer when it is up out of the ground [not at planting], if your soil is lacking fertility in general any NPK fert will do,  small doses but regularly and water in . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 8:06am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Don't have green fingers and don't have much land either, but for the past three years have tried to grow some vegetables.
Here is my list for this year:
Basil
Beetroot
Borage
Broccoli
Capsicum
Carrot
Cauliflower
Chive
Red Cabbage
Kale
Leek
Lettuce - Crisphead 
Mint
Red Onion
Radish
Sage
Spinach
Spring Onion
Cherry Tomato
Thyme
Tomato
Watercress

So this is my LITTE GARDEN effort for this year LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 8:53am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great affords lads. Vege gardening is a skill with accumulated knowledge with observations of your local environment and a art for some Mr Moritz! Lovely. There is a rare pleasure of harvesting your own healthy crops. Fresh potatoes and crisp lettuce etc you just don’t get when shop bought. smudge love the Turkeys what are the pros and cons of keeping them ?

After many years of living in the Pacific and traveling finally got roots in NZ and have some space to spread my vege garden wings. Im sourcing all sorts of interesting seeds online, this years fun crops are going to be black tomato’s ( like the 8 pool ball). And bright blue peas. Heirlooms are great. 
In the orchard I’ve planted a peachcot which is a cross between apricot and peach. Avos are knocked back a bit buy the neighbour s cows that apparently don’t jump electric tape fences…till they do….

I’ve had veg gardens that provided 90% of my food before. Not hard work but lots of planning with succession planting every 2-4 weeks and self seeding etc. what gets n my tits when you have people going to food banks and claiming neglect by the community when some have state houses with amazing fertile large sections the gov gets mown for them. You could keep 4 families in veges and fruit from just one of the gorgeous sections.

Got a mate in a state house and anything I plant just grows to unseen by me abundance. He’s in Hamilton and gets one or two bunches of bananas each year which a small but tasty like ladies fingers var. his Citris which I prune for him can hardly hold their crops. Soil is amazing. His whole street is wood fence and lawn. Crazy   
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:10am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Since moving to an acre in northern Taranaki 4 years ago, we have gradually become self sufficient with veg with fruit slowly getting better.

2 raised veg beds plus 2x2m veg pods plus 20 buckets plus an extra few hundred square metres for whatever. Also a mixed flock of 20 odd chickens. Had a few Jacobs sheep but suffered serious fly strike when I was really crook, so sheep now only kept in freezer.

Usually have a mix of seasonal greens including beetroot, carrots, broccoli, potatoes, lettuce all in buckets and peas and beans over 10 metres along a fence. Also grow crops of potatoes over about 20 square metres.

Struggle for some reason with most brassica so have now moved to sprouting broccoli in purple and green in buckets which seems to work better. Being a household of only 2, we pick most veg per meal. Celery, chives, spring onions, spinach/silverbeet, parsley, lemongrass, coriander, rosemary are almost perpetual and many now self-seeding. Potatoes are Purple Heart, Van Rosa and Swift.

I make relishes, pickles or chutneys with excesses (beans, beetroot, and green tomatoes) and I have successfully dried kilos of apples.

Fruit are guava, avos, passion fruit (make “ice cubes” of pulp), lemons, limes, oranges, plums, peaches, apples, figs, one feijoa, tamarillos, a mandarin, cape gooseberry, blackberry & strawberries to varying degrees of success. Besides one lemon and an ailing feijoa, I have planted the rest myself. We also have 2 olives which bore a small crop for the first time this year. I planted 2-year old asparagus crowns when I got here, so we enjoy these for a few weeks each year.

Unproductive fruit trees are currently finger lime, Yuzu and a newly planted persimmon. Mulberry, which I struggled to find, was unsuccessful.

Frost remains the bane of my gardening life. In my first year, I had a frost in December and the following summer, I had a frost in January. So a great windless fishing day can turn into a painful gardening night. As you can imagine, my tamarillos and young avo trees especially take a hammering. I was fortunate with my tomatoes and potatoes in both cases.

We are 2 km from the sea and 30 km from the mountain, so have a relatively mild micro-climate for the Naki. I have now planted babaco & banana against a north-facing wall, as others around me have managed to crop from both successfully in my area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:18am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

what gets n my tits when you have people going to food banks and claiming neglect by the community when some have state houses with amazing fertile large sections the gov gets mown for them. You could keep 4 families in veges and fruit from just one of the gorgeous sections.

There was a programme in Africa in the ‘70s that educated people on growing enough produce to feed a family of 4 in an area the size of a house door (2m x 1m)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:31am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

My fingers are oil and glue stained, not green...
I buy my veg in 1kg bags..

Cheapest option and saves HEAPS of time Big smile. It's rewarding growing a garden in other ways though
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:40am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Don't have green fingers and don't have much land either, but for the past three years have tried to grow some vegetables.
Here is my list for this year:
Basil - keep it watered
Beetroot - why? I'm pretty sure it's the devils poos
Borage - I grew that from the NW Little Garden series and was the only really good success. Very big now with lots of flowers that bees love, I have no idea what else to do with it but a welcome addition to the compost
Broccoli - by the time the LG things come out it will probably get too hot and the plants will bolt - then there are the butterflies..
Capsicum - easy to grow
Carrot - dig the patch well, not too keen on transplanting carrots
Cauliflower - as per brocolli
Chive - easy
Red Cabbage - easy if you can keep the caterpillars at bay
Kale - good for cows
Leek - nice
Lettuce - Crisphead - keep watered
Mint - too easy!
Red Onion - I don't know how they go in summer
Radish - easiest vege to grow
Sage - nice
Spinach - easy and nice
Spring Onion -easy
Cherry Tomato - easy
Thyme - only tried growing once was easy
Tomato - buy a grafted one such as a beefsteak for a tasty option
Watercress - never tried it

So this is my LITTE GARDEN effort for this year LOL

Sounds like you're sorted then. I have better results growing from seed that I've kept or bought than those Little Garden things but they are sort of free and the germinate really well

Sounds like 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:03am
Gold
Gold

Great affords lads. 

smudge love the Turkeys what are the pros and cons of keeping them ?

The pros is Christmas time, if however you are a  turkey the cons are Christmas time  Wink LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:07am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we live off the garden for on average 8 months.summer crops and our winter planting.butternuts are a great crop comming to the end of them now, but with saying that i give a lot away.fresh is best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:09am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

A hint for sowing lawn seed .........................

Before sowing soak seed for 24 hrs in the yeasty sediment found in the bottom of bottles of home brew.

Then  :-

Your lawn will come up "Half cut" 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:16am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Great affords lads. 

The pros is Christmas time, if however you are a  turkey the cons are Christmas time  Wink LOL

Turkeys are easy enough to keep, but they are messy as. They need lots of room which makes them hard to contain. They cost a lot in food. I have 8 at the moment, 2 of them gobblers and they chomp through a 20kg bag of pellets. I supplement that with bread and dog roll. The gobbler are amusing to watch and yeah, great at Xmas. Mine weigh around 7kg dressed. I kill them, pluck & gut them, hang overnight in the chiller then  soak them in a brine for 24hrs - they just fit inside a 20 litre bucket. If you don't have a chiller you can soak them in a plastic bag in a 70 litre chilly bin with ice.

I cook them using a recipe from Annabel Langbein more or less but I rub them with bacon fat instead of butter. They are really tasty and not dry at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:48am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the kind words about my garden. Cannot tell a lie wife helped a lot with it. It's great to be able to go out and select sweet corn for lunch or pick fresh strawberries for tea. The flavours from fresh picked veges are so much more intense and I am sure they do heaps for the immune system.. Had so many tomatoes that year it was a bit like the ASB advert.

We have about 25 acres, only run 4 steers to keep the grass down so we can manage dry summers. We share the farm with two rag doll cats, dog, ring neck parrot and a budgie who all think it is their farm and we are just here to act as their servants. Thumbs Up  
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 11:07am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Great affords lads. 

Reel craysee. What a crack up! 

Good info on Turkeys there smudge. My father in law buys a organic free range bird each year and it’s totally expensive but a luxury we enjoy. With all that feed cost I now know why they are the price they are.

I’m super impressed with the amount of vege growers n here but thinking about we all harvest and forage kaimoana so growing your own food sort of stays with that theme. Must be the cavemen in us haha.

I reckon if I could find 2 more large vege garden produces in my area and we planned our crops and share around we could be self sufficient. Very hard on your own I’m finding so hats off to any who are. 
Got lots of seedlings on the go. Next to be planted is 25 butternuts and 50 ish..(blackbird taxed yesterday so some less)I have broccolis including 6/red broccolis to go in next.

I reckon the garden centres will be motivated to move lots of large seedlings when restrictions allow them too.  This year I’m planting more companion flower plants like marigolds opium poppies borage and some lavender plants.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 11:11am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I met a guy who did time in prison. He learnt how to grow veges there. Oh boy…his vege garden was amazing! The largest cabbages and potatoes I’ve ever seen.

His entire backyard was a vege garden. He gave most of it away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 2:24pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well reel deal, theres money in opium poppies thats how the cia made money for wars,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:41pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

6 chooks, 2 goats, 1 dog, 1 cat, heaps of fruit trees which I have just sprayed with Conquer, and vege garden where I kill anything I plant.
Not a very good gardener Confused
My cabbages ended up about the size of an indoor bowling ball!
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 5:18pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

I have about 60 potatoes in and about to plant dwarf beans ,runner beans will start regrowing soon.my list yearly is as above plus onions they were planted in april, tomato, zucckini corn cucumber garlic capsicum butternut ginger lettece chilli. and my asparagus that is now 5 years old picking each day.  dwarf beans and corn i plant 3 times in a season.
CORN?? whats the secret.planted some last year but didnt develope,no ears only a plants,The corn never developed,like it was rotten but small.Planted in sunny area and plenty of water.12 planted but spread apart.

yip plant corn blocks as Lingee says but i would also add nitrogen fertilizer when it is up out of the ground [not at planting], if your soil is lacking fertility in general any NPK fert will do,  small doses but regularly and water in . 

Yep I use urea...
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:54pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

or add natural compost. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Something very therapeutic about keeping a garden. 20 years ago I had about 5 times as much garden as I have now but it became too hard. If the geese didn't attack my sweet corn, the wind would take it out. Or the sheep would eat my pumpkins and watermelons. Plus I used to give away far more than we could eat, so now my household is only 3 people down from six, I have downsized. I'm trying to justify making it bigger but I know I wont be able to control the turkeys. I really want to grow kumara again just like in the old days. could grow enough to last all year and pumpkins, and - ohhh well - one day!

I also have about 50 swan plants and have just sown around 100 seeds.
Page  <1234 25>