Gamefishing Updates to Dec '23 -Manukau to Ahipara

Page  <1 5678>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:51am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done Demon, finally the fish are starting to show out west, I think weighmasters are about to get busy!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 9:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Four marlin T&R today for Counties, two on one boat. Another went 96 on the scales and a local weighed an 'easy hundred' that went 86. No shame there, I've seen many striped marlin hanging up and have a pretty keen eye at guessing weights but I guessed a very short fish at 91 last week that went 108kg.

A 218kg broadbill also caught by a young fulla today, wish I saw that one!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 12:18pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saturday looking good for the Kaipara, any one heading out west . The bigger fish seem to have come down west on average .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 7:17am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a good day out the Kaipara on saturday, bar was flat and a good forecast . Pritty quiet till about midday then the bait seen to rise .Went out to 136 meters where we had luck a month ago , was a bit quiet. Headed back to the 90 meter where ther was more bait . Saw a boat next to us turn sharp and work a area up down , up down .
so i hung round there , within 5 mins port short zucka 5.5 behind the dredge took off. Dropped it .It then went ot the starboard short bonze argonaugt ,going it flat out for about 30 seconds , it then moved onto a small medium  citer lure and same thing . This marlin had no bill and was relly exserting energy to get the lure . It has had to come up with different ways to feed with no bill , very evident in the way it turned and dropped onto the lures . wont forget that action . apart from that was a bit quiet out there.
Was the most seals iv seen out west , came across at least five sunning on the surface .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 6:13pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone been out wide lately??
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 10:04pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Trip Report

First time game fishing for Marlin on Smile 2 Kingfisher boat.

We decided late Monday afternoon for Marlin Troll out of Manukau Bar as weather was perfect.

Dad me n my little bro left Weymouth ramp at 5am

Lures out in water at 7am as condition wasn't too good so slow ride out.

First strike at 830am and after 40 minute land this bad boy.
After taking few pictures as it was the first Marlin for the boat did another troll and 1 hour later hooked up again but only to see the Marlin jumping out the water and bugger it spat the hook.

Called it a day And back home to process the fish.
FoundĀ  a big Mullet inside the gut.
Was surprised to find that.

A very successful first trip with my Best Crew's.

Marlin weight was 101kg.

Watch out Marlins I will be back for more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 11:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done, that's not a bad size for this early in the season. It's not unheard of to find they've been feeding on mullet. Where they get them is anyones guess but I've never seen mullet in blue water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 1:11pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish snapper12, great report.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 8:47pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff now you too are hooked. 
PS you might have to change your handle Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:56pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Smudge.

Fish was caught in 250mtr.
The mullet was so fresh that it could have been used as a snapper bait

Was totally surprised to find that.
Looks like the Marlin was feeding in shallows and then mover back to deeper water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:58pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks and yes there will be more reports
This is my boat and if you see it come and say Hello.
Would love to have a chat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:56pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish well done.impressive rig too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 8:02am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice catchšŸ‘
I've caught a marlin off Raglan with a flounder in stomach.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 4:51pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out again in 14th for Marlin hunt.
Trolled from 100mtr to 430mtr mark bot even one bite.No baits either.
Water was still greenish at 430mtr
Did 214km from Weymouth boat ramp.
Was a big day.
Lots of boats out but didn't see any one hooking up.

Only saw a report on Sunday Morning someone caught 1 on 480mtr mark.

Any one else caught anything out manukau.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:28pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to gamefishing - hero to 'zero' in the space of a day. And back to hero in the blink of an eye and a screaming reel.
Hours of 'boredom' interrupted by minutes of mayhem.
I don't find any time on the water boring and I have a couple of mates who will watch the plastic lures splash all day long. Come to think of it, have done same myself.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 7:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here's my two cents. I am not a game fisherman, yeah I have caught one, yeah only one and I've put my crew onto one - yeah only one! I am heavily involved in Counties Sport Fishing Club and have weighed many striped marlin, literally hundreds. In that number i include all the T&R cards I see & our club has around 60%  T&R rate. I once weighed 7 in one evening I've only weighed one blue and one black along with a NZ women's record YFT. I've weighed three broadbill the biggest going 255kg last year. All those fish are from out west.

What that really means is I have no clue on how to catch them Big smile but I hear all the stories, see all the tackle and all of the lures. Some people will disagree but 99% of people are honest about the info they choose to share when they are buzzing after a catch, especially when I join them for a beer afterwards Wink

I have a 'party trick' where I can guess the weight of a fish, easily within 10% I don't know how I do it but the first question I always get is 'Do you think it will go 90 Smudge'? The last two fish I weighed I said at least 100 (it was 103.6) the other i said it was an easy 90 and it was 93. So I know a little bit but don't really apply myself nor do I particularly enjoy trying for them. The last couple of years I've thought about having another crack but haven't mustered the enthusiasm.

Get on with it Smudge! What's your point???

Well it is this: two weeks ago there was bluish water at 80m. There were tuna at 100 and marlin from there out to 200m. There weren't many trailers at Te Toro but I weighed 3 fish. 

Weekend just gone I weighed one and there weren't many parking spaces left. Close to 80 boats.

Jeeez this is dragging on Smudgie!

Anyway! The blue water was approx half way to Australia thanks to the stormy easterlies prior to the weekend. The fish were out deep. One was caught out at 900m. The one I weighed was about 250m. I could have caught a boat load of snapper and gurnard in the time it took them to get there. That is my thing.

The next opportunity to get out safely looks about 10 to 15 days away and if the conditions allow it will be magic. I promise you. That's my story.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 7:44pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Told as only you could Smudge. Brilliant
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 8:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I shall consult you for my next trip Smudge - but you did explain quite a bit. The fishing can switch in a day.
It is always a challenge - that is why the good days are so great.
Sometimes it is near impossible to figure out - but there will be a reason - you just missed it.
But @Snapper 12 - this is where the data sites come in. You can burn up a  s...t load of fuel just 'looking' for the action. From what Smudge says, the chlorophyll data would have pointed you in the right direction. There is a scientific approach you can follow - with good results if local current intel is lacking. The guys here can point you to the useful sites.
That is what makes it interesting.
I spent a week on Tagit towing plastic from daylight to dark about 3 yrs ago. Even when not my watch I was usually out there watching the gear, rain or shine. We only hooked 2, landed 1. It was just pretty dead for everyone - they were pumping on the W coast. But great time on the water anyway, and we always nailed a few snapper each evening. I can't think of a better way to spend what is left of my allocated time on this planet.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Salty and I agree 100% Alan, gamefishing isn't really my thing but I still love being a part of it. It is unusual to get consecutive days with both having great results from what I've seen over my last 22 years in the club scene. It does happen but every day is different and if we knew all the answers well we may as well take up lawn bowls. It is the unknown and the anticipation of that big adrenalin rush that keeps dragging us back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:46am
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm not really into game fishing as well but have two BIL's who love it. It's my observation that out west anyway most people start fishing too early and finish too soon.
I would not bother dragging a lure before middle of February, March would be my choice if I felt the need for 8 hrs plus of boredom.Tongue
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Page  <1 5678>