Game fishing update - Whangaroa

Page  123 24>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game fishing update - Whangaroa
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 5:02pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

BA has offered to keep us posted on what's happening around the Whangaroa area....

Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 5:17pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok guys will put a bit of stuff in here, this has been posted else where but will stop you going to look for it.

water temps are up and down as is the water colors, guys are going both north and south, it seems fish are really where you find them, lots of bait closer in than out wide so I feel your better off fishing 200m contour and closer. plenty and I mean plenty of spear chuckas around, try running a smaller lure, Jaapie informed me if you want to nail them run a small black and purple lure, some good oil.
Phantomdiviant hooked up in 140m, we saw a fish in 80 and had 3 shots in 370. a fair few blues around as well look at Mainlanders 239 and swordfish steves 200, guys are hooking up and being wasted, the vhf runs quiet then its all on. plenty of small fish over the scales as well, yip theres no weight limit but its a shame when we try hard to promote T and G, but hey each to there own.
best water temp I have come across so far is 20.9* thing is boys there was no bait in it, stands to reason there was no marlin either, hit the 335 and water dropped a degree, off the side and it picked up again, hit the garden patch and it dropped below 19, but hello there was the bait, refer to my earlier report and posted pic of the sign, we fished the doubtless bay trench, plenty of bait here.

there has been some good bites from areas like Bergans clay works, really there are not alot of boats out looking.

weather up here although very hot is on the decline with a pending easterly gracing our shores, this will no doubt stir things up a bit and move the water about, just have a funny feeling that after the blow it just maybe all on.

seems you dont need to go far guys, find the bait and work it hard, will be going to the club for an update so stay tuned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:33pm
kaimana View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Steve is there no minimum weight limit on marlin to be weighted at whangaroa now

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:34pm
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff Steve. 

Keep it coming!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaimana kaimana wrote:

Steve is there no minimum weight limit on marlin to be weighted at whangaroa now

no mate sorry they still have the 90 for the club but there is nothing stopping people weighing a fish a charter boat up here weighed a 75k fish as I say nothing stopping a weigh in mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

further info this taken from Odins thread, dont think he will mind me posting it.

There was no bait there or birds for that matter so I decided to track in towards Berghans. Started picking up bait and Albies at around 230m, & at 200m came onto a big current line with lots of foam on it and tracked it down the coast until it petered out along with the Albies and bait at about 150m off Wekaroa. Decided to track back out to 200m as that was the depth of the best bait I had marked. As I tracked back north along the contour I was watching a launch that looked like it was dragging livies near a little canyon I have picked marlin up on before so I decided to track out on the canyon just north of where he was working. At about 250m the bait disappeared but I persisted and ran the canyon, worked outside the launch and tracked back in slightly south of him and back into the 200m contour. Was working a nice current line at 192m whwn I saw a dorsal come up behind short corner (black and purple  Hooker slash face) and start to wobble. Was just going to strat slewing the boat to see if I could get a bite when a second dorsal popped upo behind long corner (home made kingfish imitation slash face), no mucking around, it just smashed the lure. Not wanting a double on my own I dived across the engine box and got short corner out of the water as quick as I could, the first fish followed the lure right to the transom all lit up but luckilly didnt bite.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Were any fish actually caught?

Lets have the real detail, how many tagged, how many weighed and what weights
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2SHITS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:20pm
2SHITS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, I'm with you BP.... blue/green water, temp breaks, salvies best winter offerings mean noute to me... results with regards too da # boats....  not da 145 off da mumu again Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:21pm
odin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heres a nice pic for ya piglet. No need to be all negitive although I know its hard. Not weighed at Whangaroa but at Doubtless

Even those beady little eyes should be able to read the small print
There are fish off Doubtless but you need to hunt the bait, Dont get overly hung up on the temp, find the Albies and the bait and work it. This fish was done on a boat with no outriggers, and no temp guage.
Cheers
odin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:27pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

How about a close up of that little lure Odin ! ! !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RU4REEL RU4REEL wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you BP.... blue/green water, temp breaks, salvies best winter offerings mean noute to me... results with regards too da # boats....  not da 145 off da mumu again Shocked

YESUM MASA  eyes be a good wigga [white nigger for you red necks]and run off down the club and ask every 5 minutes Clown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 11:11pm
odin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You have actually had this one in your hands Lance. It has caught over 20 Marlin now - not bad for a garage knock up.
About time I gave it a polish and make it look all shiny and new again.
Cheers
odin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 7:08am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the report BA
Pretty impressive results for that lure Odin!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:28am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Personal attack eh odin. Whats wrong little man, have I upset you?

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wind Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:31am
Wind Up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for your report BA. Certainly looks a little snotty this weekend but maybe this Easterly will be the final push needed to get that good water in b4 the One Base and Nationals.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

weather up here is great, except for the 20 to 30kts of Sou East, bit of a bugger and its predicted to get worse, if Sam or I get any updates we will post it up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stef da maori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 7:07pm
stef da maori View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just lookn at the sst. We're getting an eddy pushing up the coast from the water that the guys are catching fish on just off the ninepin at the moment. There is also the main push coming in from the 60mile in towards the whangaroa seamount, with a nice finger running towards cavs. Add 3 to 4 metres of swell over the weekend. Give it a coulple of days to settle, and Flat/CAvs/ Takou Bay will be holding good numbers of fish. You won't be going past 130m.
Watch this space.
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

cheers stef, be interesting to see what this weather system does and if it will even get to us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:44pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

choice Stef - big livebaits on top of the Taheke or Ruahine!

PS..up your way for a couple of weeks mid feb - after work missions to the pub/whale/130m off Takou/bush is it?.....will bring salami making gears - you get the ingredients - marloons, tunas and poakas!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

what dates you up here big boy
Page  123 24>