Game fishing update 2011 - West Coast

Page  <1 23456 35>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 10:57am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was out at 800m yesterday and spoke to the tuna boats out there. Good oil is beakies north of the mokau trench still wide though. A week or two and it might get busy out westThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H2O_dependant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 12:22pm
H2O_dependant View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out off Kaipara yesterday out to Trench and picked up 4 skippies on way out - water warm - got up to 24.1 degreees in afternoon at about 150 meters off entrance. 8 puka landed from the trench over 4 hours and then trolled north until off the entrance and then back in. Picked up another 8 skippies including a quadruple strike with the skippies hitting the large marlin lures. Plenty of makos and sunfish around and nearly ran over a 5 foot mako which subsequently took the purple pakula - short fight and released. Great day out weather wise and water plenty warm but still a little short of activity. saw more makos and sunfish than gannets out there....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 5:47pm
Bubs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

got out in the thundercat yesterday no tuna to be seen went quite wide mega bait, kahawai and sharks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 11:07pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did a trip out wide today off the Manukau bar. Dropped the gear at 70m as skippies everywhere  and continued to be seen all day.Had 4 marlin lures running and 1 tuna lure on the shotgun.Seconds after as the tuna lure was in the water the albacore came on the bite. Pulled the lure in after 5 albacore around the 6kg mark as had to keep stopping to get them boated. Continued wide and landed two makos around the 60kg at 90metres water temp 21 degrees. Made our way out too 115 metres where there were some sun fish and temp up to 22 degrees.

No marlin strikes but a heap of bait and good blue warm water  form 70 onwards. Lets get more boats out there and land some marlin. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:22pm
AB View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been out for the last 2 days off the Hokianga.  Focused on Hapuka and snapper for the first day.  Only had the lures in the water for an hour and picked up 3 Albacore, biggest was 11kg.  Spent half a day trolling yesterday.  Only about 3 boats out of the Hokianga and all hooked up.  We lost one at the boat, got the gear back in and hooked up again.  Landed our first marlin of the season 108kg.  Photo's and full match report to follow shortly.

West is best, always has been, always will be :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stef da maori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:53pm
stef da maori View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff AB. What general direction/area. might be me on friday
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:37pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done AB!!
Good hook-up ratio!!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sweet tooth#3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:37pm
sweet tooth#3 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice AB heading over there tomorrow north or south? or straight out?

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good reports ty Dunworkin & AB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:14pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is awesome well done. Always a good chance up in hoki,i have only been their once in march last year and we landed 3 marlin in 3 days.Hope to be up there soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 9:06am
AB View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We hooked up about 10nm south of the bar. In about 120m of water. A lot of hook ups were also happening off Glinks gully in about 120 as well. A few Marlin Hook ups also turned into markos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2SHITS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:13pm
2SHITS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by AB AB wrote:

We hooked up about 10nm south of the bar. In about 120m of water. A lot of hook ups were also happening off Glinks gully in about 120 as well. A few Marlin Hook ups also turned into markos.
Good effort for an an afternooner AB... How many come across da scales up da mighty hoki thus far....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rodg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:49am
rodg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just been yakking to a mate over on the Kaipara,     They lost 9 marlin between two boats on thursday out off the Kaipara.             One fish,  He thinks may have been a Black,  200 k plus, on a livie.    
Blue water in 35 meters,  23 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:20am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know.......Gooooottttttaaaaa ttthhee tyypppinnnnngggg jjjiiiittteersss, very amped!
Will be out and over on Monday and maybe Tuesday next week.....
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:30am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Manukau/Kaipara.....

Thinking of heading out through either of these two bars tomorrow, is anyone heading out that we could follow to get a bit of an idea of where to actually go? I've been out through the manukau a few times but still not too keen on going it alone just yet.
Send me a PM if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rodg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:33am
rodg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I will be planning for next weekend.      Good luck to you if you get out there Graeme.

Those fish were out off North Head.    He said it was quieter yesterday,  but a few were caught.  One fish was 125 kgs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:36am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brad, few boys out today and some going tomorrow, they should have some good intell for Monday, will keep you posted.
chur....G
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:42am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Im thinking about heading out next week too, and i also have only been over the manukau a couple of times, never in my own boat so i would be keen to follow someone who knows what they are doing too if any one is going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rodg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:53am
rodg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Graeme.
Just been looking at the forecast,  Might head over tomorrow.  
I will let you know Herby if I go.
Also next weekend R/B if you want to follow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:54am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Cheers Rdog,
I will looking at going during the week but possibly next Saturday too.
Page  <1 23456 35>