Game fishing update 2011 - Mercury Bay

Page  <1 23456 11>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 11:18am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You could be right, Max - heard from friend whose mate was at the weigh in!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm
seawolf View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

230.06 kg blue weighed at tairua yesterday.caught on a broadbill translucent squid 150meters deep of aldies.peter stewart angler.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -prozac- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 1:30pm
-prozac- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

silver mare's blue went 293.8 kilo, 1hr 50min on a penn international 50 with 24kg line,pink and purpley blue black magic lure i think, was a huge fish, leader was 2 foot too long, i got a few good pics of it at weigh station which i mite try post up, reel mccooy's stripe was a nice big fish too, took a blue and white zuker 5.5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:28pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

might as well have been 10 metres too long
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 3:14pm
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots of fish again today ,Mahimahi ,stripeys (I think about another six)Alberts ,skippeys everyone having a ball except for the boat that got a double strike ,one strpey and a Y/fin and dropped them both at the boat .Silvermares fish didn't cost them anything except a club record as it is a Tuna comp with cash prizes for Tuna only  Gunsmoke got a nice 122 kg stripey .Will try and get a list of what was caught over the two days but has been the best Tuna comp I can remember for a while (apart from my breakdown and not being able to be out there ),lots of fish caught and great weather 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pacifier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 4:30pm
pacifier View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Whiti, Sounds like the fishings going off, cant wait to get back out there will be next weekend, where are all the fish being caught? The hook, middle, Adlies, cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 6:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

You dont have to go far Gunsmoke had a marlin rip through some skippies he was targeting by Whale ,not sure where he got his marlin havent spoken to him yet .Marlin caught in 80 mtres outside red and at the hook and everywhere in between .I have been told the further south of Red you go the water gets cooler and greener and not so much activity ,but as you go north of Red the water gets bluer and temps more cosistant .havent heard anything from Alderman end but the boats doing the Tauranga Comp were probably down that way ,must be a report on that comp on here 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:24pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Has Brian landed that blue on Bounty Hunter yet?
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BountyHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:33pm
BountyHunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No we didn't land the blue. It took a livebait, which we let run until there was about 200 m of line left on the reel.  (37 kg on a 80W) We thought we had it hooked, so kept pressure on it. After about 15 minutes the line went slack, we think it swam back at us and spat the bait, so not hooked at all.
Not too sure what else we could have done, although a third person on the boat would have been helpful. 
Good display when he took the bait though!
Plenty of fish out there - also had a shortbilled spearfish take a lure, but spat that too!
Another thing I've never seen before - a sunfish jumping right beside us - didn't realise they could launch themselves so far out of the water! Jumped out of the water 4 times beside us.
This is Julie writing this by the way! Brian may tell you a different story!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:38pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cheers JulieThumbs Up you got a Tiagra of me a few years agoWink

Bad luck on the blue.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bidstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 9:49pm
Bidstar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

7 sleeps...leave me some...or just leave me one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntaway.tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:42pm
huntaway.tom View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sounds like its gone quiet since the weekend. a trailer boat named triton out of cooks got a marlin monday. didnt weigh because hes not a club member. sounds like it was 80-90kgs. he had it hanging out the back of his bach for a while. sounded like quite a sight

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:35am
Kas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It usually goes quiet when the winds blowing a gale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T_CARP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:32pm
T_CARP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Kas Kas wrote:

It usually goes quiet when the winds blowing a gale

Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wind Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 10:43am
Wind Up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Obviously the weather has precluded a lot of activity recently hence the lack of updates but any news now?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 12:07pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

beautiful day today, swell is still 1.5m but lazy, very fishable and looking good for next 4-5 days. Going out tomorrow for look so will report back.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wind Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 12:50pm
Wind Up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks and good luck - will be out tomorrow for 3 days also 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 1:39pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep us posted. Boys as down there this weekend and not sure if I should bring the boat as well.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 4:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Ladies comp this weekend Yehaa .For a change it's the wife encouraging me to go fishing and she doesn't mind how much fuel we burn as long as she gets fish to brag about to all and sundry .Why doesn't it work like this when I want to go fishing .OH Yeah it does I married one of the good ones Hehehehehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 9:45pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

was nice out there today - max temp 21 had some  skippes in closer...water not hugly flash with all the rain..still tomorrows another da and ill be towing plastic...choice!!
Page  <1 23456 11>