Frozen Zips

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frozen Zips
    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi people,

does anyone of you know a trick or what to use to stop the zips on my bags from freezing, after a day out on the boat. Can't always avoid the contact with saltwater and the bags usually land in a corner until the next day out. Takes a while to free them up again.

Cheers Vundu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A silicone spray might be a solution. The zips on my boat clears used to seize up with the salt spray. Hot water would free them and then a spray with silicone has made them much better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Run some dry lube up the zip when open.type of lube you use car door stays.its like a wax.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Both those ideas are good.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:47pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As smudge says. and just stay fairly regular with the application
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 8:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be very  very careful applying.. clears and these products dont do well together.

My Bimmini/clear zips get a light lanocoate aerosol spray on a large elcheapo artist paint brush and rubbed in couple times a yr.. along with my wetsuit/ dive bag/ lunch bag zips etc.
 This is done 2 or 3 times a yr.

Also every 3 or 4 trips carefully spray the stitched canvas/ areas behind the clears with gone in 30 mins.. again dont get on clears surface.
 This stops that green mould forming behind clears around the seams.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 5:01pm
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, will try the silicon first. Another idea would be a suitable bag without zips. Might have a look what is out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:19pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Talked about something similar today regarding corrosion and salt. Mate said half half mix white vinegar and water should free them up. Apparently also good for removing green corrosion off of rod guides and reels. I'll have to hope the zip on my bag freezes before I can confirm that tho!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:13pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good stuff that’s what I use to clean my canvas tent when the birds crap on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FMad  Make sure you re treat .. you remove all the anti rot/ preservative with detergents acids etc.
Good quick blast, soak light, quick scrub will have the tent/bimini last many yrs longer.

Side note on that, our canvas bimini on the boat.. it and the clears have been up for 10yrs from new, outside, much of the time full sun...
Originally I treated with canvas tent stuff...then since then few times a yr, good spray with a can of supercheap elcheapo blue can 3 for $10 tyre shine...
Not the clears thu
 They get meguires quick detail car polish, use as little as possible

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:33am
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No worries I do treat the area with canvas w/ proofing I get from the tent shop of K Rd