smartwave 3500

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 9:32pm
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The spray doesnt bother me an with a scupper fitted at the back hopefully will drain out rather quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:22pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah u will be suited up a lot anyway, spray only bothers me now in winter because im getting older.

it sounds like you have pretty much sold urself on it? without sounding patronising as ur not a noob, make sure u get a ride first :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:28pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The skids on the factory trailers are nothing major mate just 3x2 timber covered in artificial grass. i made some up for my one as it was on short plastic skids. drove past the mac factory today the high sided 360 looks quite cool and might be a little less wet. were about are you based tylz00?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 7:28am
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Auckland, yea I am pretty keen on it, but if another option popped up id definitely have a look. Yea ive gotta try find someone with a demo model. Im not buying anything until tax return time. So still a couple of months of shopping around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 7:53am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Rusty,
I had the forward steer mac with the front screen and it was a brillant boat. only got wet when the wind came from the sides.  I am sure the smart wave is a better riding in the flat but on a really bad day what would you prefer to be in. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:05am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i reckon on a really bad day anything outside a cuddy cab deep v or cat is a wet ride :-)

one thing that worries me about the sw3500 is its low transom at the engine plate, are they all short shafts? if there was a higher transom model that would be my pic as following seas are the worst seas imo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:26am
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You can get a long shaft transom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 10:42am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats good to know. i think it will give you what you have now with the tinny plus some more stability, durability and a pretty handy layout. its not necessarily an upgrade in size but it may well do what you do now better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 11:02am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was watching a smartwave on saturday (a 4200 I think).   It was early morning and there was a two foot snotty little chop from the morning land breeze.  Whoever was driving wasn't sparing the horses and she was skipping along cleanly.  Looked to be a dry and confortable ride. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 11:03am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah the vids ive seen handle the spray well. the reality is no dinghy is dry in high winds, it just gets blown back over the sides. i think this looks much drier than my inflatable :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 12:18pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To be fair he/she was heading into the wind.  Might have been different in a quartering sea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 1:03pm
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

thats good to know. i think it will give you what you have now with the tinny plus some more stability, durability and a pretty handy layout. its not necessarily an upgrade in size but it may well do what you do now better?

My hopes are it will do what my tinnie does and a bit more an hopefully in a safer manner. For example longer coastal missions that would take a lifetime in the tinnie and if it chopped up big time would be abit more sketchy. An probably some of the closer islands on a really good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 3:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont think you will have 2 many problems there, look at the out with the 12s report and see what those guys get up to in their tinnies :-)

i think its prob the best value at that size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 3:38pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting to note that the smartwave of one owner, tends to go bow down on higher planing speeds, that can only be a bad thing as it points to the hull deforming and creating a hook in the stern of the boat if you imagine a dip which acts as a drag pushing the bow down, imagine trim tabs extended down to almost max below the waterline this has a similar effect, i know from past experience on Mac boats doing the same thing, there does not appear to be a rigid enough centre line reinforcing on the keelson, thus allowing deformation and drag.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 4:56pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I do have the motor fully trimmed in though. My boat is one of the first made (number 7.)  I don't think it's been trailered properly over its lifetime. The newer ones have aluminium braces running the length of the floor.

They aren't high speed boats anyway, but do run fairly well at 20knots. 

If I was buying Tylz, I'd go for the 4200, a wee bit bigger and 15cm deeper inside. 5g for the boat, get a bunk trailer off somewhere, and buy a decent older 2 stroke motor if moneys a bit tight. A merchatsu 30hp would go well enough.

I wouldn't worry bout the transom height, I've never actually had water rush in coming off the plane; maybe if you went from full throttle to nothing really fast with a heavy body at the rear. But they do come in 20inch if that's your thing. 

Compared to a tinny, the safety is beyond compare. Dry in a following sea, wet in any kind of head/quartering sea. But it is only water. Proper clothing fixes it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:10pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great feedback oneway Thumbs Up

like i say, what boat is dry in bad conditions without a cab of some sort? :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:39pm
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by notalloyit notalloyit wrote:

Interesting to note that the smartwave of one owner, tends to go bow down on higher planing speeds, that can only be a bad thing as it points to the hull deforming and creating a hook in the stern of the boat if you imagine a dip which acts as a drag pushing the bow down, imagine trim tabs extended down to almost max below the waterline this has a similar effect, i know from past experience on Mac boats doing the same thing, there does not appear to be a rigid enough centre line reinforcing on the keelson, thus allowing deformation and drag.

This is a interesting point I might ring the suppliers an see if they have done anything to fix the problem if it is one. Would be a waste having a 30hp on it if I cant go balls to the wall every once an awhile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:41pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by notalloyit notalloyit wrote:

This sounds like the post i put up a while back. i have improved that problem heaps by lifting the motor and trimming it out a couple more holes. it still will push down the nose if you really lean on the gas when its dead flat but by that stage ur pushing 45 2 50 kph.
Mines got a 30hp merc 2 stroke on it and has plenty of spare power. but is great getting up on the plane with two big guys a wet 60m net and a scallop dredge etc. not sure if id go with one with a 15hp on it.

At the end of the day make sure you go for in a sea trial at what ever you are looking at and compare from there.

Plastic boats are great but the plastic is quite soft and does mark easy if you drag them up on rocks or shells etc. but they are pretty much bullet proof other than that.

Have you looked at the scorpion dinghys?

Let me know if you wana go for a spin or have a closer look at a smartwave cheers rusty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:45pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This is a interesting point I might ring the suppliers an see if they have done anything to fix the problem if it is one. Would be a waste having a 30hp on it if I cant go balls to the wall every once an awhile.[/QUOTE]

Be interesting to see what they say? smartwave have been great to deal with when ive dealt with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:51pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some of the specs say 25hp max, which is thrust not weight so maybe the 30 is going over the line is what they might say. but 5hp shouldnt change the structure that much surely.

that thing will kane 1 up with a 30, sheesh, fun.
Page  <12345>