Marine Carpet?

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 9:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mine is glued...and the new panel in the center I need to do soon will also glue down...
And
one thing to look out for is make the carpet a little short "10cm" where your likely to blast all the blood and guts to, this helps it escape without to much hassle when cleaning up with the water blaster....
Definitely... mine doesnt go under oil tank batteries etc in the stern, stops well short so be it water blaster or the hose, everything gets washed from one end to the other and the crap simply pours out the end of the carpet... and u can see when the rinsing goes clear....
If it was right to the rear, I think one would end up with crap still in the bottom end like a sponge and stink after a day or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 10:09am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have everything running to the scuppers, that is the beauty of a self draining cockpit :-) but yes, I plan on not carrying the carpet right to the back wall. Who'd'a thunk carpet could be so interesting eh? :-)
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:23pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Did you have it glued down Eric? I am thinking of getting the carpet edged with Velcro, stick Velcro to the deck, and have it fastened around the edges that way.
Well, iPad is flat, so, time for bed...night all! :-)

nah mate but it was screwed to the floor up front only,
sometime i blasted skinny long leaves under the carpet along the sides so just rolled it back and blasted them out,
when its first new it sometimes would slip when you got on an acute angle but otherwise not a problem,
i would glue it down like Step has done, this would keep it tidy and definitely stop it from moving..
the thing that makes it turn tits up is spilling petrol/oil on it, if it happens wet it with water pronto this will help, then blast what you can out this reduce the effect it has on the carpet....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 6:40pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a comment from me that I heard that some marine carpets can cause some form of corrosion on the floor of Aluminium floors to the point of pitting and small holes appearing under carpets. Something to do with the type of plastic reacting with the alloy. This fella had a huge warranty issue with boat manufacturer with this happening to his brand new boat after I think only 6-12 months.

Myself I think best not to glue marine carpet to the hull or tanalised boards as some lay ply on top of the hull and glue carpet to that. Some use tanalised marine ply which is great but tanalised timber on Aluminium causes quite a chemical reaction with the alloy, worse so in areas that have screws/bolt and wet/damp spots.

I think marine/plastic carpet is good but wash and dry it and let it and the hull breathe and air and not trap damp,moisture, mildew, mould and bad bacteria in the winter which will attack an alloy hull.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 8:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

That is what Harvey feels about wet anything stuck to the tin,and it concerned me too, so that is why I had the entire deck painted and nano coated, to put an impermeable layer between any wetness, salt or whatever and the tin.
I would prefer to glue the carpet down so it never moves at all, however..., well, we will see :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 8:59pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't glue it,I fitted carpet to my centre console,brought a good quality marine carpet from a carpet company,if its cut properly to fit the boat you will only need to fix it intermittently ,I've used stick on Velcro dots on the cnrs and randomly thru the centre.centre ones weren't needed really,pull the carpet out every now and then but don't even need to.
Clean it with household detergent to keep hygienic ,boats shed stored which helps.
Wash carpet each time i use the boat then vacume it a day later when dry,bit pedantic but i like clean things that smell good.
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 9:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mmmm which is kinda what I was thinking by velcroing around the edges.
There are enough angles and build in obstructions on the deck areas, like the seat bases, I think to stop the carpet from shifting too much. Maybe an idea would be to glue down the for'ard half of the carpet, where there is much less likelihood of fish guts, blood and bait, and have the back deck carpet able to be lifted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 9:54pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You might find you wont need any glue,I wouldn't glue it at all.be a cock up if you need to replace it.
Cut it to fit real neat and tidy and use it for a while
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 10:45pm
Renegade View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I wouldn't recommend glueing it, autex Decord has a stiff enough that backing that it should sit OK if just cut to the edges, if you do have an issue fit a couple of domes to it. We supply the carpet for White Pointers they glue it inside the cabin but if it is on the deck it is not glued. Some of the cheaper carpets do not have a stiff enough backing to just sit loose on the deck. If you want a nice carpet inside your cabin go for some Smartstrand Rhino carpet we have just supplied it to a open cabin White Pointer, I have it on my Flybridge and in my cabin which we walk straight into when fishing with gumboots etc on, been there 3 years and still looks like new, 25 year fade gaurentee and life time stain gaurentee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 11:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Tell me more about that rhino stuff mate... why not for the whole deck.... not recommended for open air?
I want a lightish charcoal colour, the upholstery is going to be white, seats white, don't want a dark or black carpet..., the autex site show a sample pic of their carpets but gives you no idea at all of what it actually looks like in decent areas.... I was looking at slate, would that be a fairly light carpet colour?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have run my carpet under the seat pedistiles.. they sit on the carpet and screwed thru....dont know how your seats are fitted thu
As to gluing and not being able to get back up to replace or whatever...doesnt take much to lift a cnr, then just start ripping up.....and a little solvent cleans up the old glue.. shore a little messy with the glue, but not exactly a major...
I think u will find , if not glued down, then with turning in shoes , griping the surface, will bend / fold the carpet , eventually breaking the backing and having humps and bits to trip on.
And u will get crap collecting underneath which means...lifting every time u clean down...
Hell thats a 4 letter word...."work"   Glued down nothing collects, nothing smells.. nothing gets pushed harder underneath with hosing or blasting....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 1:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

There is much in what you say. Sounds good to me. I will see what the carpet guy says too this arvo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 2:36pm
Renegade View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My main recommendation for not glueing it is that it takes alot longer to dry when glued, you can always try it loose to start with then if you find it moving about to much glue it down.  Stu the Rhino carpet is of convention construction which means it would need the edges bound or overlocked to stop it fraying, also the backing would not stand up to water blasting for to long.  Great for in a cabin or some were that doesn't need to be pressured washed very often.  Marine carpets are what we call needle punch construction, which means it as all held together with glue and this why it won't fray much and why it doesn't like petrol etc spilled on it, as they break down the glue and cause the carpet to bubble and go soft.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

ahhhh, ha! OK. Arrrghh!. :-) Well, I will see how it goes unglued for a second or two, and if I feel it may shift, and this is an open boat after all, no cabin to keep the wind from whistling over the deck, then I will glue it.
So the Autex Duracord is the only stuff to use then? Other Autex products of lesser quality? I want the best (within reason).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lambchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:34pm
Lambchops View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I bought 3mm wet suit neoprene.can be washed water blasted easy on your feet if barefooted.as you do on a boat.
have tried all others hard on feet.cheers my opinion anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:06pm
Renegade View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup Autex Decord or Widetrack best to use not allot dearer than the cheaper option but will last twice as long. Storm is the dark grey colour, shale is a light grey any local flooring retailer should have samples, but as I own a Carpet Court store I would recommend going to one of our stores, tell them Roger from the Gisborne store sent you in and has given you an idea of prices, that should keep them honest. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:48pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My main recommendation for not glueing it is that it takes a lot longer to dry
I dont know on that....even thru winter it doesnt take long for the carpet to dry after a good storm...
And with a rubber backing it should not make any difference.. unless hanging out to drain dry...
And lets face it.. the real world, after a few trips.. would one be still taking it out to dry, espec in winter?
And wet carpet.. how many times do u actually get in the boat, on the trailer and on water in bare feet?....I do but dont know many others who wear bare feet most of the time.
And the only time that when the carpet is wet its a hassle, is when I have to re fill the oil tank... the ppl who installed that ... if had 1/2 a brain would die of confusion.. professionally installed to.
I have to lay down on the carpet to get the hooks back in
Other than that doesnt matter if dry or wet

New carpet (well most new stuff) glues far better than used with dirt oils etc ingrained into the backing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:09pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

this is the stuff i had on the McLay Stu, lasted the 10 years i had and it and still looked like new,
was never glued just 4 screws holding the top from sliding down,
i dont know what carpet court are sell but this was purchased at Smart Marine for around $100...
 was wide enough to cover the whole floor with the groves going from front to rear on a 6-5mt boat...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:31pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would there be any corrosion problems with glued down carpet. There was an issue with tinnies when they had carpet glued to the sides running down to the floor. Caused many of them to end up with tiny pin holes caused by the bottom edge of the carpet holding water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

I doubt that that would be a problem for my boat, as the entire inside of the hull and deck have been painted and coated in nano clear, so it should be pretty much bullet proof in that regard.
I will pop in to the local store here tomorrow, have a look see. I think the slate colour is what I will be after, moderately light coloured.

Page  <123>