Marine Carpet?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Carpet?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 11:35pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any suggestions as to which is the best marine carpet to get for use on my tinnies deck? Exposed to UV and water etc. Any ideas?
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 11:38pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we use the pvc tube matting ,easy to clean,dosnt hold moisture or end up smelly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 12:26am
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, nah, I want carpet thanks..... the tube stuff and I do not get on :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 6:10am
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Autex seems to be the best/most durable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 6:10am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went with the 3mm ribbed rubber matting.
Was advised my others that the carpet will hold odours eventually.
The tube matting loses it`s shape and is hard on bare feet.
The 3mm rubber comes in various widths 900/1200mm mostly.
East to cut to shape and roll up to remove/install for cleaning etc
Comes in black and grey.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 6:11am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Autex have a good range ,and they sometimes have offcuts big enough to do a boat you can get for a good deal.
p.s Awesome new boat Capt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the ribbed type and the none ribbed type in the center panel
The boat get water blasted every time we return with a 3000lb petrol unit
Bait, blood etc gets trampled in and blasted out.. close range.
The ribbed stuff is still as good as new.. the stuff up the middle has not only worn out in patches but the blaster the blown holes in the worn patches.

you cant get much harder on carpet than that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:29am
Titanium
Titanium

Good to know... I was looking at the ribbed stuff, just humming and hahhing a little over the direction of the ribs....if along the length of the boat dropped ball sinkers will shoot straight down the boat and straight out the scuppers, if the ribs are crossways, it may give a little more grip perhaps, and stop everything railroading straight out the back of the boat. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 11:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My ribs go lengthways.....stuff doesn't seem to roll down .. have to think about it  if it is an issue....
My "work hard at being lazy" attitude ..if was an issue would be considering width ways to replace the center run... but no....
On the other hand the only ball sinkers we use are already on pre made stray lines...all the rest are drop sinkers or the round cone clip type.. not an issue
Also the boat is pretty level when in the water.

OH I do think if the ribs went across then the water blaster would not blast the ground in dropped burley/ bait. sandwich crusts what ever as well....just another thought.....I think the nap of the weave must go the same way as the ribs???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 11:38am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Capt pm Renegade he in the carpet trade he should be able to help you out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 11:39am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Capt I have an IRB with a ribbed 5mm foam 'surfgrip' covering the fiberglass floor.  Its soft underfoot being 5mm, grippy as hell, and I water-blast it to clean it.   You can get it with a 3M marine adhesive backing in a variety of colours/patterns.

If you are happy to glue it down yourself you could look at the interlocking polytuf product sold in bunnings, mitre10 etc 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 12:46pm
Renegade View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Autex Decord is the ribbed product your talking about the ribbes run up the roll and it comes 2.0 metres wide, I would definitly run the ribbes length ways in the boat with the pile running towards the stern this will make it allot easier to clean.  But it will probably depend how the width works out for the size you require to which way you will run it.  There are some cheaper look alikes and even Autex make a lighter grade look alike called Reef, but go with the decord and you won't have the sort of issues Steps is talking about. If you won't some pricing let me know your sizes, I can at least make sure we keep your local supplier honest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 1:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

I am really after the carpet, the rubber I think may well get a bit slippy underfoot after a fish has been flapping on the deck for a second, so I am kinda leery about that, and I reckon the carpet will be a tad warmer on my geriatric old tootsies these days :-) lol
I am going to line the anchor well with rubber though to cut down on clanking on chain etc....
One bad thing about carpet though, it is a hook magnet.....and a hook stuck in carpet and then stood on..... owww, I can feel all youse guys's cringe as I type this! Owwww.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont drop hooks then.. get the arthritis fixed lol
never had an issue with hooks.. even the long line we have and the hooks are mounted on the base.
Yeah definitely warmer in the winter.. notice the difference even between 'glass and ply. floors
As to bloody etc ...not a worry, even cutting  sea KY, blood spurting everywhere....
I use a good car type detergent (currently meguires) in the water blaster.. soak everything, including carpets....washes out like new.

Be interested if have a strip about 2.2m long 700mm wide  a grey sort of colour (NOT blue lol)
Replace the crap center stuff I mentioned above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 9:52pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rubber should be plenty warm on your tootsies,
Measure width of deck,get 2 x rubber(or carpet) widths ribbed rolls to cover.
ie as in a overlap in the middle for each half.
Do not glue them.
This will assist in removal/clean up.
Quite heavy is the good quality rubber.
2 X 900mm for me worked for my deck area.
My next boat will not have that alloy tread/diamond pattern plate.
That stuff does not stop things sliding around.
Flat plate (should be cheaper too)with covering will be the go.
Let us know which way you go,and give us your opions 12 months from the install.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 9:56pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As for blood and guts?
Wash away crud asap,
Nil x H&S/ACC slip hazards to contend with with the rubber option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:23pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ive filleted a Marlin on my carpet in the boat no worries at all,
and your definitely over reacting about hooks and sinkers Stu,
never had a problem in 12 years and carpet looked like new when i sold the boat,
plus the floor under the carpet was just as shinny as when i brought the boat,
and i never took the carpet out of the boat either....

one thing to look out for is make the carpet a little short "10cm" where your likely to blast all the blood and guts to, this helps it escape without to much hassle when cleaning up with the water blaster....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

I don't have tread plate floor, but flat. Reasons, it is harder than tread plate, it doesn't wear on bare feet, and I have always intended to have carpeting, when the boat was originally due to head to the tropics, I wanted carpet to stop feet from getting fried on the deck you see :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:26pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

any off cuts, i need some for my dog box and bonnet
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

Did you have it glued down Eric? I am thinking of getting the carpet edged with Velcro, stick Velcro to the deck, and have it fastened around the edges that way.
Well, iPad is flat, so, time for bed...night all! :-)

Page  123>